• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Blu-Ray/DVD burning/reading software and burner for MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Purchased a Macbook Prop last week. 15.4inch/16GB/256GB SSD. I am looking for some good Blu-Ray/DVD burning/reading software. On my PC I used Nero for a long time, looking for something similar. Also looking for a good blu ray burner as well. I have tried using iMovie but it doesn't seem you can make it into an actual disc file (ISO/VOB). Can't make a menu or chapters. Any help is appreciated. All of this is very new to me. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Normally burner software comes with the Blu-Ray burner but not sure if there are Mac versions. Roxio. developers of Nero, make Toast Titanium 15 for Mac, but at $100 you might like to look for something cheaper.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/titanium/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Purchased a Macbook Prop last week. 15.4inch/16GB/256GB SSD. I am looking for some good Blu-Ray/DVD burning/reading software. On my PC I used Nero for a long time, looking for something similar. Also looking for a good blu ray burner as well. I have tried using iMovie but it doesn't seem you can make it into an actual disc file (ISO/VOB). Can't make a menu or chapters. Any help is appreciated. All of this is very new to me. Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You might want to take a look at the OWC Combo Offerings, such as the one shown below, i.e. an external DVD/BD burner w/ the Roxio software - I've no personal experience w/ this package but would be a consideration for me, if needed - look at the reviews to see if the software/HW will do what you need? Dave
Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 8.02.55 PM.png

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You might want to take a look at the OWC Combo Offerings, such as the one shown below, i.e. an external DVD/BD burner w/ the Roxio software - I've no personal experience w/ this package but would be a consideration for me, if needed - look at the reviews to see if the software/HW will do what you need? Dave
View attachment 25175

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Patrick are you familiar with Malwarebytes for Mac making users aware MacUpdate now includes malware with downloads? Appears they have joing cnet and Download.com including these little 'goodies' in downloads.

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/cybercrime/2015/11/has-macupdate-fallen-to-the-adware-plague/

Yes I'm quite aware or such reports Harry but I haven't encountered any such things, and any "installer" that offers to "just to trick you into changing your default search engine and install some browser extensions." I wouldn't consider actual "malware" and is easily avoided if one just reads the options provided, if they even are. Not all MacUpdate downloads do, but is annoying I will admit when they do.

For those concerned, the developer's link is nearly always provided at the MacUpdate site and they can use it to check and usually download there, as well as checking that they're getting the latest version, something that MacUpdate doesn't always do.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/shouldnt-download-mac-apps-macupdate/

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.