• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

copying dvd's

D

delboywww

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if I can copy dvd's on my new Imac G5 Isight ? or do I have to buy extra software like "Toast".
I was told when I bought it that I could, but have not found out how to do it yet as I am new to Macs.

I find the manual is not very helpful and does not explain how to do it.

Thanks
Del
Surrey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
You need Popcorn or DVD2OneX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Mac the Ripper to rip them to the Mac and then Toast to copy them to a new DVD. Popcorn is nice, but if the DVD is protected in any way, Popcorn generally won't work. Will Popcorn burn DVDs from the files that MTR has ripped?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use Toast 7 but I am pretty sure Popcorn will shrink and burn the files from MacTheRipper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
baggss said:
Mac the Ripper to rip them to the Mac and then Toast to copy them to a new DVD. Popcorn is nice, but if the DVD is protected in any way, Popcorn generally won't work. Will Popcorn burn DVDs from the files that MTR has ripped?
I haven't come across a DVD yet that Popcorn couldn't handle. Besides that its MTR that removes the encryption not Popcorn. Popcorn clearly states that it doesnt handle encrypted TS folders.

OP
D

delboywww

Thanks guy's for the advice. Seems like I was given the wrong information when I bought the G5 as I was told that I can copy dvd's right out of the box !
Cheers
Del

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Pretty much NO machine out of the box will copy todays Copy Protected DVD's. You need aditional software. It will copy DATA DVD's out of the box but not movies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
IronMac said:
I haven't come across a DVD yet that Popcorn couldn't handle. Besides that its MTR that removes the encryption not Popcorn. Popcorn clearly states that it doesnt handle encrypted TS folders.

Wait, do you mean for copying back to DVD or ripping from DVD? Nearly every store bought DVD I throw at Popcorn can't be ripped by it, but I have not used it to burn DVDs, I've always just used Toast.

OP
D

delboywww

I would have thought that I could have copied music dvd's. Are they protected the same as Movies ?

Looks like another £70 for "Toast"

I wish these salesmen in the Apple stores would give correct information when buying such an expensive item. For the same price, you can get a multimedia PC which does the lot ! Albeit with the virus issues associated with PC's.

Thanks for info guy's

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Popcorn doesn't rip. It's a burn utility. You can't copy the TS folders in Finder and drop them on Popcorn. You need MTR to take the encryption out first..

OP
D

delboywww

Hi Guy's,

Need more advice please.
I got my "Toast" software and tried to copy a dvd.
Pressed the red record button and it appeared to be copying, but when it had finished it did not eject the original dvd and ask me to insert a blank dvd to record onto. All it did was to display a window saying the drive is already in use ?
I assume the dvd would have copied onto the hard disc but I cannot find it anywhere ? Can anyone tell me if there is a temporary folder that it might be in as the "Toast" manual says if you only have one drive then it will be on your hard disc ?

Thanks
Del

OP
D

delboywww

Managed to copy a dvd using "Toast" via making an image file of the original.
The dvd plays on one of my dvd players but not on another. (strangely enough, it is the more expensive player that it wont play on !)
I used DVD+R blank media discs, should I be using DVD-R instead with my G5 Imac ?
Any advice most appreciated.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM
Simply put: MacTheRipper removes encryption of commercial DVDs. Popcorn then compresses the ripped files and burns them. Works for me every time!

Consider donating as little as $5 to MacTheRipper so they continue development - that way it will work with new DVDs in the future - they are a great team and we all use it... it's only fair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.