Opening programmes in full window

Reaction score
Hi I have a Mac which I love, having used windows for the last 15years, the annoying problem that has just cropped up is that when I open a programme ie Google for example it opens in 25% window. could anyone tell me how I can restore it so that it opens in full window. Many thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

The answer depends on which Operating System you are running (perhaps you could tell us please).

The following applies to all windows in El Capitan and macOS Sierra (can't recall if it was so in Yosemite):

At the top left of the Tool Bar on all windows are three coloured dots or circles.

Clicking on the Red one closes the window (and in some cases, quits the app; but not always).

The middle one (amber) minimises the window to the Dock.

The Right one (green) has a dual function:--

1. Clicking on it opens the window in Full Screen. The top Menu Bar disappears, but if you hover over it with the cursor, it reappears. To Exit Full Screen, hit Esc, or move the cursor up to the top Menu Bar and the green dot can be clicked again; or Menu Bar > View > Exit Full Screen.

2. Holding down the Option Key changes the function of the Green circle - a "+" appears and clicking on it opens the window and allows you to drag it to any size you want. Once set, that window should continue to open up to the size you set.

If you have an earlier OS, the red & amber circles fulfil the same functions whereas the Green circle allows you to alter the size to your liking (as in 2 above), but there is no Full Screen option.

Hope that offers some help.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Opening programmes in full window.

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

The answer depends on which Operating System you are running (perhaps you could tell us please).

The following applies to all windows in El Capitan and macOS Sierra (can't recall if it was so in Yosemite):

At the top left of the Tool Bar on all windows are three coloured dots or circles.

Clicking on the Red one closes the window (and in some cases, quits the app; but not always).

The middle one (amber) minimises the window to the Dock.

The Right one (green) has a dual function:--

1. Clicking on it opens the window in Full Screen. The top Menu Bar disappears, but if you hover over it with the cursor, it reappears. To Exit Full Screen, hit Esc, or move the cursor up to the top Menu Bar and the green dot can be clicked again; or Menu Bar > View > Exit Full Screen.

2. Holding down the Option Key changes the function of the Green circle - a "+" appears and clicking on it opens the window and allows you to drag it to any size you want. Once set, that window should continue to open up to the size you set.

If you have an earlier OS, the red & amber circles fulfil the same functions whereas the Green circle allows you to alter the size to your liking (as in 2 above), but there is no Full Screen option.

Hope that offers some help.

Ian

Thank you very much Ian, firstly for the welcome and secondly for the solution, it worked perfectly. Don

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
To add to Ian's advice, the green button will also invoke split screen mode. Click and hold and the window will cover half the screen. Clicking on another open window will fill the other half of the screen.

It doesn't work with all apps. It's handy for having two finder windows open in order to drag stuff between them, or watch a QuickTime video while you are working on Pages etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
BTW, when working in full screen mode, a two finger swipe across the trackpad will take you back to your desktop. Swipe the other way to go back to your full screen app, again with two fingers. There's probably a mouse method too but I don't use a mouse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.