Switching To Apple Environment?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2013 (10.12.4), iPad 5th gen (10.3.1)
Hi.
I've been using a Macbook Air 13" since 2013 and I am quite happy with it.
With the introduction of features like Continuum, I started to wonder if I should switch to iOS too, which I disliked and kept distance for no obvious reasons.

With the new features, like many of you may know and also enjoy, your Apple devices act as one. Correct me if I am wrong here: You can read something on your phone and keep reading from the same page in your notebook, then on your tablet. You can answer your phone from your Macbook without even knowing where your phone is. You can track where your phone is from your macbook (and vice versa?).

These features all seem unnecessary but also cool. These look like they would improve my life, but let's be honest, I could (and see, can) live without them.

Because I have a desktop PC, and I am pleased with my 2013 Macbook, I see no reason to switch back to a Windows or Linux laptop ever again. But the same thing can't be said with the phones I'm afraid.

Here is where I need your help and opinions. I LOVE Android and the freedom it gives to the user. I can have more than one launcher, widgets on more than one screen, I can choose my default browser and the other browser won't open again if I do not open it myself, I can choose to type in any keyboard I want, I can use any alarm app, I can pick any music file as my ringtone and many more things like these.
On the other hand, iOS seems so restrictive. Some people mock it about not having a file explorer like Android OS has, and in fact I and a friend who bought an iPhone could not locate the files we wanted to see if we did not open the app for the file. I had to sync my friends' phones to my Macbook because they did not have iTunes on their computers.

Does iOS have what I listed above as the advantages of Android? And are there any ways to bypass the limitations it has (Like a file explorer, or other ways to copy your phone's content to any PC etc.)?

Ultimately the question is, do you think someone in my position should switch to Apple environment completely, leaving only his game PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Certainly, some people mock iOS for its lack of a file explorer, without realizing that it is not a file-based OS. Going to iOS for the first time requires a certain amount of unlearning. It becomes easy in time, and extremely intuitive. You can be experiencing many of its great features within seconds, but if you insist on attempting to use it as though it "should" do something the way you are used to, you won't get on with it.

I find the interoperability between Apple devices to be one of their strongest points. Sure, you can buy better, or cheaper, but Apple has the package. If that is not important to you, you might be better off looking elsewhere. I am not one of those who will claim that you should share my enthusiasm for macOS and iOS. What works for me may not work for you. It's your money, and your choice.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, so I should not expect a file system similar to Android, Mac and Windows. But what do you do instead? How do you organize your files on your phone? Obviously it's unlikely to not being able to find a computer with iTunes if you use Apple ecosystem, but what do you do when you do not have iTunes with you and you, for some reason, have to copy all your phone's content to somewhere else?

I was not trying to criticize iOS or praise Android. I was just wondering what iOS users do for certain things.

Interoperability is the reason why I am asking this question. You are right, it is the strongest point of Apple devices. There are ways to get the similar functionality between Android and Windows/macOS, but it is not the same and you still lack some of it no matter how many apps you use for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I organize my files? I don't. I let the phone do it for me. I don't run across many instances where I can't find a solution. OK. Someone wanted to print out his iMessages which he doesn't have on his Mac. I couldn't find a solution to that. On Android it might be easy. I don't know.

I always have iTunes with me because I always carry my MacBookPro with me. There's a major problem for people who have older Macs that won't run the latest version of iTunes, or who do not have a computer at all. iCloud backups only back up limited info. That's a big problem.

My message is this. It's not up to you to figure out why you should buy an iPhone. It's up to Apple to convince you that you should. If they haven't done it yet, that's their lookout, not yours. Spend your money on what works for you, and don't believe the hype.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just had a thought. (It happens occasionally.)

My first smartphone was an iPhone 4. Prior to that, my phones were for making phone calls and sending the occasional text. Photographs? Isn't that what cameras are for?

It just occurred to me that I don't know what I'm missing. I've never used Android, so I'm not aware of any convenience it might offer me.

I want a pocket computer. My iPhones serve that purpose. Someone who is used to the Android OS is probably looking for the same as me, but found a different way of achieving their ends. Both are fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
My first iPhone was a 6+. Prior to that I had android phones. I understand the ability to control and organize files feeling. I really did not know if I would like moving from Android because I was very comfortable with it. When I got my iPhone 6+, I hunted for an app that would let me look at the file system so I could organize it. I finally figured out I did not need to do that and figured out how to move and share files like pictures and videos with my other devices. It took awhile and some patience though.

The benefits of having all apple devices is huge. I love the integration. My iPhone unlocks my apple watch which unlocks my macbook air. I can send and receive email, messages, and calls from all my devices. My calendar notifies me of appointments on all my devices. And there is more but these are the biggies for me.

In the end it is a personal preference.
Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input.
I think no opinions or suggestions are going to be better than my own experience. And this would be an expensive experience as Apple products are more expensive than any others in my country, even more expensive than the ones you'd find cheaper in the US or most of other countries.
And the transition period is going to be similar to what I got when I bought the Macbook. I got used to it (I still have a Windows desktop for games though), and it was not so hard, thanks to google and some help I got here.

I think I'll just wait for my Android phone to die and get the latest iPhone at that date, and if I hate it, I'll just switch back to Android and I'll know that iOS is just not for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.