MacBook pro with a MAC address that is showing up under my Apple TV

Reaction score
I have a MacBook pro with a MAC address that is showing up under my Apple TV as the Ethernet connection.

All connections are wireless.
I have multiple MacBook pros, iPhones, iTouches, thermostat, pc’s (only thing hooked up through Ethernet), iPad, nooks etc….all running on my home network.
I have a Linksys wrt1900acs router

When I go to my router network analysis and look at the “device info” for my Apple TV I see two IP address, one for wireless, which is correct and it has the correct MAC address for the Apple TV, and another IP address for Ethernet (not hooked up) which is the MAC address for a MacBook pro. Somehow my MacBook Pro’s MAC address is showing up under my Apple TV. Don’t know if this is important but it’s an older MacBook Pro, I also have two newer MacBook Pros that are hooking up just fine.

I have turned off the Apple TV and my router recognizes the MacBook pro no problem, I even assigned it a preferred IP address, but once I turn on my Apple TV my router doesn’t see the MacBook Pro, MacBook is still hooked to the Wi-Fi and runs just find, it just doesn’t show up on my list of network connection.
Looking for some help here……..
Jeep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Hello and welcome.

Does the MacBook Pro simply get "kicked off" the network when you power on the Apple TV? And loses all connection? Have you tried assigning a static IP Address to the MBP that's NOT currently used by another device and seeing if you can ping the Apple TV device?

Have you looked at the details of the Apple TV to see what MAC addresses are assigned to it? And compared that to what's assigned to your MAC? Do not use the router's information for this - get it straight from the actual devices.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hey Ember1205,
and thank you for the welcome!
My MacBook Pro stays connected just fine, it does not get kicked off the Wi-Fi at all, the only way i know that i have a problem is when i go into the router setup software and see all the devices that are on the network less the Mackbook Pro. Thinking that I had a device mislabeled I started going through each item and looking at their MAC address's, the third time through i noticed that my MacBook Pro had two IP address assigned to it, and the one for the Ethernet cable(which is not connected) was the MAC address of the MacBook Pro. I have assigned "Reserved" IP address to both my MacBook Pro and the Apple TV, and that works just fine, (i have actually done this a couple of times and all it does is change the IP address). From the router I was able to ping both of the IP address with not problem, I was also able to do a trace, not quite sure what this was, but the trace came back on the Wi-Fi on the Apple TV correct, and the trace came back as a MacBook Pro for the other IP address(Ethernet). I have gone through the Apple TV and looked up the MAC address, and this is the MAC address that I'm seeing through my router for the WI-FI portion, I have also gone to the MacBook Pro and looked up its MAC address and this is the MAC address that I'm seeing for the Ethernet portion of my Apple TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
So... the "problem" is cosmetic, then? Meaning... you're seeing information on your router that appears incorrect and that's raising a concern for you?

What if you go to one of the "good" MBPs and do the following in a terminal window:

- Ping the possible problematic MBP
- Ping the Apple TV
- Run "arp -na"

Do you see any duplication of IPs or MAC addresses in the local arp table of the "good" MBP?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.