Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't forget to wear your tin foil bonnet when you're anywhere near WiFi! :p

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cute! And it smashes my hair and ruins the look so I gave up my tin foil hats! ;D

Lisa

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hope they hack mine and see my ugly mug when I first get up in the morning. It might scare them! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
According to the article they can hack my camera and microphone - but only if I am using them at the time?
… … …
Lisa

I can't see any reason they'd even want to bother with any of our Macs or iDevices and they'd probably just die of boredom if they did… what a bore and waste of time that would be for them…

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It's allright for you Lisa! Down Under they reckon it can make you sterile!

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At my and my husband's age sterility is a blessing - it's senility that is a worry! Still not too worried about someone watching and recording our happenings. If they are that desperate and bored .... seriously??

Lisa

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Which statement is correct in that article?

The bad news for Mac users is that malware targeting webcams and microphones has now come up for Mac laptops as well.

Patrick Wardle...discovered a way for Mac malware to tap into your live feeds from Mac's built-in webcam and microphone to locally record you even without detection.

I am guessing the 2nd statement is the correct one.

Sounds to me like there is one individual that has figured out how to do this and it is not something that has been seen in the wild.
Thus, just more scaremongering of something that is not a threat to the masses.
It also sounds to me like he waited until after he had developed his own software to combat his own piece of malware before even reporting it.

Of course, before the hole even has the possiblity of being patched, he's now going to show the world how to do it, thus creating the need for his own software.

This seems to be a pretty common theme to me related to OS X.
Make something where there is nothing.
Create a reason for Mac owners to have to start paying the A/V companies.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds to me like there is one individual that has figured out how to do this and it is not something that has been seen in the wild.
Thus, just more scaremongering of something that is not a threat to the masses.
It also sounds to me like he waited until after he had developed his own software to combat his own piece of malware before even reporting it.

Of course, before the hole even has the possibility of being patched, he's now going to show the world how to do it, thus creating the need for his own software.

This seems to be a pretty common theme to me related to OS X.
Make something where there is nothing.
Create a reason for Mac owners to have to start paying the A/V companies.

Except what he is offering is free. It is basically code that triggers a warning if the camera or mic is being used. He is not advocating A/V.

Whether it is a problem or just another scare is really up to the individual to determine for themselves. I say this given I have yet to convince my girlfriend who covers her camera with tape - clear tape....that the government is not spying on her through her computer camera. I personally believe given my incredibly slow internet, if they hack my camera or mic they will become as frustrated as me with my service and just give up. I do believe it is an "in the wild" issue but I found it interesting and something to be aware of.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.