hp.myway browser hacker

Reaction score
Newbie here - I have become aware recently that my safari searches have "hp.myway.com" in the search bar and from the net this seems to be a nuisance virus. I can see many recommendations re uninstalling this virus but they all seem to address a PC. Is there a way to get rid of this on a mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
get and run MalwareBytes for mac. Great program. If it is Malware, this should take care of it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Newbie here - I have become aware recently that my safari searches have "hp.myway.com" in the search bar and from the net this seems to be a nuisance virus. I can see many recommendations re uninstalling this virus but they all seem to address a PC. Is there a way to get rid of this on a mac?

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

The site appears to be a Search Engine, certainly not a virus and arguably not detrimental to your Mac. I suspect that you may have downloaded this inadvertently in the past or it may have come bundled with an app you downloaded.

Whilst I totally support and recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware App, I suspect that it might not regard this as a threat - could be wrong.

I suggest you go into Safari > Preferences > Search, and within this window, the first option is to choose your Search Engine - it may show hp.myway. If it does, change it to Google (or whatever you want).

Please post back to let us, and followers of this thread know your results.

Ian

M

MacInWin

And if it IS removed by malwarebytes, then look for Ghostery to prevent it happening again. Ghostery blocks malware, pretty much, and malwarebytes removes it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While not a virus, the myway toolbar/extension is definitely not something you want on your computer. It is a browser hijacker, re-director, adware, spyware...
Ian is correct that it is one of those things that come pre-packaged with other freeware/shareware.

Don't know for sure if malwarebytes will remove it or not.
If not, in Safari, head for Presences - Extensions to remove it.
You will also need to reset your search engine (Search tab) and your home page (General tab).

OP
P
Reaction score
Thx for all replies - I downloaded Malwarebytes but it did not find anything suspicious and then did as others suggested. So far so good! Thx all

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

The site appears to be a Search Engine, certainly not a virus and arguably not detrimental to your Mac. I suspect that you may have downloaded this inadvertently in the past or it may have come bundled with an app you downloaded.

Whilst I totally support and recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware App, I suspect that it might not regard this as a threat - could be wrong.

I suggest you go into Safari > Preferences > Search, and within this window, the first option is to choose your Search Engine - it may show hp.myway. If it does, change it to Google (or whatever you want).

Please post back to let us, and followers of this thread know your results.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.