Required Thread Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Is it possible for you guys to make some threads required to be read before you become members? Like a thread with some of the rules and some basic mac info for switchers... The reason I ask is that recently a lot of switchers have been asking repedative questions, example, "How can I protect my macs form viruses?" and everyone time members keep answering and answering. Normally this would not annoy me but some of these questions are things that could easily be googled for... Maybe i'm being to paranoid or overly annoyed....maybe i'm being a jerk to new members...Just my thoughts.

Reaction score
This happens on every forums ever created I think :) Also, I think some people just don't know how to use google for trouble shooting etc.

I don't know if having compulsory thread reading will work, people will just skip it and click "ok" (well I would anyway :p). The best method I've seen is to have a sticky (or stickies) with the frequently asked questions and their answers. Then if someone asks just link to the sticky. I see there is already a sticky for antivirus and firewalls...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
I got an idea, if you don't like something someone posted, then don't read it. If someone posts a question that has already been answered 100 times, and you don't like that, then just move on, and read another thread. Why waste your time getting mad over something that will probably just be answered by someone else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
the search function on this forum is a great thing as well.
-chris

OP
macAttack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
in response to hondagus87, i'm not getting angry, I just see it as a waste of resources to our members, and most of the answers to the simple questions (ex. Viruses on mac?) could be easily found by someone using google or even the search function on our forums...

Reaction score
Many of the same questions get asked and answered many times, that's what a forum is all about. The virus Mac qustion will always be asked and the answer should be every OS should have protection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
See that's the problem with the whole idea. Not trying to Hijack the thread, but I don't agree that OSX needs a virus protection App and I don't run one. There is no "right" answer to some of this sort of stuff, merely advice from ,and opinions of, other users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
There is no solution. In the welcome e-mail there are links to three important threads that explain how things work here, but no one reads them. Heck people don't even read what the forums are for and post where they want. For example, people continually posts help questions about their Macs in this forum even though the description is clear on what it's for.

The only solution is for our longer term members to kindly let new members know when they're not following protocols that have been established.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.