What do I need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I have 2 computers using one desk and I would like to use the same speaker system for both computers. I am using my MBP and an older Windows HP desktop. The desktop computer is for the kids to use as needed, but my MBP will be used most of the time on the desk.

Right now the speakers are plugged in to the monitor and work with HDMI coming out of my MBP. But the desktop doesn't have HDMI, only VGA going to the monitor. The speakers have the male plug, and any way I do it, I still need two female ends for both computers to plug into, and another female to plug the speakers into. I can't find it anywhere, what is it called, and is it available?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Use a headphone splitter and invert it. If I'm visualizing this correctly, you need a cable with two female ends at one end going to a single male at the other.

Depending on how much money you want to throw at the problem, a Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus works in this situation quite nicely. That's how I get iTunes from my Mac and Foobar2000 from my PC to my amplifier.

If you go that route, you use miniTOSLink from the headphone output of the Mac to one input of the DAC and TOSLink from the soundcard output of the PC to the other input of the DAC.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correction. You will also need a female/female 3.5 mm extension to convert the gender of the headphone splitter at the speaker end.

OP
ferrarr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Correction. You will also need a female/female 3.5 mm extension to convert the gender of the headphone splitter at the speaker end.
Thanks Kevin. All the outputs are the same, from my MBP, the HP desktop and even the back of the monitor, they have the same "little headphone" jack. Is this 2.5 mm or is it 3.5 mm? I did find this on ebay (of course), and was wondering if it would work for my needs? Thanks for your input.

3/32 2.5mm Female to Female Jack Coupler ~ Stereo to Stereo ~ RadioShack 274-896

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like that one actually is 2.5 mm so no good for your purposes. It looks very similar to components supplied by Monoprice, who are a treasure trove of hard to find cables and adapters.

You need 3.5/3.5 and I'm certain that Monoprice can supply it. As a bonus, their prices are very easy on the wallet.

OP
ferrarr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like that one actually is 2.5 mm so no good for your purposes. It looks very similar to components supplied by Monoprice, who are a treasure trove of hard to find cables and adapters.

You need 3.5/3.5 and I'm certain that Monoprice can supply it. As a bonus, their prices are very easy on the wallet.
Ok, thanks Kevin, I will check out mono price for the 3.5 mm joiner/coupler.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Bob, if you cannot find what you need to get that done, feel free to give them a call. I've only had to call them once or twice when I wasn't sure about a cable, but they've been very helpful.

OP
ferrarr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Sly, I will give them a call if I don't see something that will work.

OP
ferrarr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good stuff. See what I mean about their prices? Can't fault that.

OP
ferrarr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for everyone's help.

@KevinJS, I need to spread some more reputation around before I can throw some your way, but I will, thanks. And, yes, great prices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know what you mean about rep. I still owe Patrick, so I'm spreading as much as I can. (That's not the only reason for the Tusk comment. It is a great song.)

Reaction score
I have 2 computers using one desk and I would like to use the same speaker system for both computers. I am using my MBP and an older Windows HP desktop. The desktop computer is for the kids to use as needed, but my MBP will be used most of the time on the desk.

Right now the speakers are plugged in to the monitor and work with HDMI coming out of my MBP. But the desktop doesn't have HDMI, only VGA going to the monitor. The speakers have the male plug, and any way I do it, I still need two female ends for both computers to plug into, and another female to plug the speakers into. I can't find it anywhere, what is it called, and is it available?

Thanks in advance.

Thinking along a different path: When you are using Bluetooth in or added to your speakers, you can have normally 4 or more connections per speaker or speaker set.

OP
ferrarr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thinking along a different path: When you are using Bluetooth in or added to your speakers, you can have normally 4 or more connections per speaker or speaker set.
The older desktop does not have bluetooth. Besides it is only for casual use. Thanks for the thought though.

OP
ferrarr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to all who responded, I received the adapter yesterday and had the other cords and splitter here. So I hooked it up and is working the way I wanted. I appreciate all the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In sig
As a simple solution, I would just use a 3.5 mm splitter and a headamp... Profit

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.