Trying to load some photos from a card, keep getting messages that there's no room...

Reaction score
Hey Mac gurus...

I have a Macbook Air running OSX El Capitan version 10.11.6
I use my machine mostly to process photos, email, web surf, things like that...so no real heavy hitting here.
I have, what I think is the 250GB HD, and for some reason I can't load any more photos because there's no room.
I don't know if it's my backups, or messages, or something that is consuming my drive...but I don't know how to see what's what like I can on my iphone or my old PC. Can someone tell me where and how I can find out how my storage is being used, and how to delete files I don't need anymore?
I have been using my external drives to move photos now, but I really want to get them onto my machine and photoshop a few from some recent trips for my folks...

PS - I used to do the disk defrag and disk cleanup on my old PC, is there something similar to do maintenance wise on my Mac? This is my first one, so any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Help please!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Whatever you do, don't attempt to defrag an SSD. Doing so will damage it.

For other maintenance there is OnyX. Make sure you get the correct version for your OS.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can someone tell me where and how I can find out how my storage is being used...

- Apple Menu
- About This Mac
- Click on the "More Info" button.
- Click on the "Storage" tab (near the upper left of the window).

This will show you free space.

I used to do the disk defrag and disk cleanup on my old PC, is there something similar to do maintenance wise on my Mac?

No defragging because the MacBook Air has solid state storage (this rule applies to Windows computers too).

As far as maintenance. Download & install the free app called "Onyx". Just click on the "Automation" tab.

HTH,

- Nick

Edit: Kevin beat me to it.;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.