Keychain password

Reaction score
Definitely a switcher!

Just got this old iMac 5,1 running 10.5.8, SL will arrive tomorrow. The admin password was "password" and I've changed that, but when I bring up Safari it asks for the keychain password and I have NO idea what it was, tried "password", etc, no joy. I've read that the password can be reset but when I look for "preferences" in the keychain access app, it's not there, perhaps an issue of not being up on SL yet? In any case, I'm a little apprehensive about the reset anyway as I might disable certificates of installed s/w, eg Adobe CS3, which is the reason I got this Mac. So 2 questions:
1 - Will SL give me the preferences tab/option in keychain access so I can reset the password?
2 - In doing the reset will I damage/lose certs and/or applications?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Two things:

1. Whenever I get a "new to me" computer...I always wipe it clean (erase & reformat the HD)...and a fresh install of the OS. Then any garbage or other stuff from the previous owner is eliminated.
2. Unless the apps on the iMac are apps you personally own & installed...they are not legal installs.

My advice is...when your Snow Leopard DVD arrives...wipe the HD...reformat the HD...install a fresh copy of Snow Leopard...and start with a clean slate. Otherwise you may end up with issues that a clean-setup would eliminate.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.