Is an Ipad Air 2 a Mac?

Reaction score
I'm a PC person and my brother has a MacBook Pro.
He told me about a deal he's getting from Verizon.
Turn in his 2 iPhone 6's, get full credit for 2 new IPhone 7's and a new "Mac Air". When I questioned what Mac Air he's getting, he showed me the iPad Air 2.
My comment was that's not a Mac and he said all the Apple products are considered Macs.
Is he right?:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
No. iPads are tablets, running a mobile operating system. They are generally operated by touching the screen with one or more fingers, a stylus or the Apple Pencil.

Macs are computers that run macOS. They are operated by keyboard, mouse and trackpad. Touching the screen of someone's Mac is likely to shorten your life expectancy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I'm a PC person and my brother has a MacBook Pro.
He told me about a deal he's getting from Verizon.
Turn in his 2 iPhone 6's, get full credit for 2 new IPhone 7's and a new "Mac Air". When I questioned what Mac Air he's getting, he showed me the iPad Air 2.
My comment was that's not a Mac and he said all the Apple products are considered Macs.
Is he right?:Confused:

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Kevin has already answered your questions - Apple's mobile iDevices, such as an iPad Air run on an operating system name iOS, while their 'computers' operate on now called macOS, both operating systems have been updated recently.

The main reason that I'm responding is that I own an iPad Air 2 (on iOS) and also 3 Mac computers, 2 laptops and 1 iMac - Apple offers 3 laptops at the moment, all using macOS - one of their laptops is the Macbook Air, SO you might need to clarify the situation w/ your brother - did he mean to show you the iPad Air or the MB Air? Dave

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And to be more specific; No, all Apple products are not considered "Macs". Only computers which run a desktop OS and all of them have "Mac" in the name of the product are called Macs, i.e. MacBook, Macbook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro...

iPad, iPhone, iPod as a group are typically referred to as iDevices.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.