• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

What is the best method to convert Blu-ray (bluray) to DVD?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a wedding Blu-ray disc that I want to convert to DVD so that I could give it to my relatives to watch because they don't have Blu-ray players.

What would you guys recommend I do to get this done?

What softwares would you recommend?

What softwares would you recommend for conversion to PAL so that the DVD would be viewable in Europe?

I'm currently running Os X Sierra (10.12), MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), and blu-ray external drive.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Have a look at DVDFab. I've used it on Windows. It has loads of options and will probably do everything you want, including the conversion to PAL.

I don't like recommending it, because it is essentially a piracy tool. It decrypts copy protection and allows things to be copied which decent people pay for. However, as you are asking for something that will carry out a legitimate operation, I'll duck into the grey area. By the way, it's not free.

http://www.dvdfab.cn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
You could get them their own Blu-Ray player.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't like recommending it, because it is essentially a piracy tool. It decrypts copy protection and allows things to be copied which decent people pay for. However, as you are asking for something that will carry out a legitimate operation, I'll duck into the grey area. By the way, it's not free.

Are those prices for real? No one in their right mind is going to pay what they want for that software unless those dollars are not US or Canadian.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are those prices for real? No one in their right mind is going to pay what they want for that software unless those dollars are not US or Canadian.

Presumably they're for real. I didn't check to see what it cost. I wouldn't buy it, and have a hard time even mentioning it because, like I said, I consider it to be a piracy tool first and foremost. There used to be a trial version that was time limited. Don't know about the current version.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have no problem with the software. It's only a piracy tool if it's used for piracy. I'm just amazed at what they're charging for their software lineup - unless those prices are in another currency!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Handbrake and vlc work for free

OP
G
Reaction score
Have a look at DVDFab. I've used it on Windows. It has loads of options and will probably do everything you want, including the conversion to PAL.

http://www.dvdfab.cn

Hi,

Thank you for the reply, however after downloading the latest version from the website it fails to install. I'm assuming it's not compatible with 10.12. Otherwise I have no idea why. It just says to contact the manufacturer.

Untitled.jpeg

OP
G
Reaction score
Handbrake and vlc work for free

It's my understanding that vlc is a player. I don't want my relatives watching the wedding on their computers.

Would I be able to use Handbrake to do the conversion from Blu-ray to DVD?

Thank you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It's my understanding that vlc is a player. I don't want my relatives watching the wedding on their computers.

Would I be able to use Handbrake to do the conversion from Blu-ray to DVD?

Thank you.

VLC will also convert files from one format to another. I'm guessing that member Ferrarr was suggesting that you use either VLC or HandBrake to extract the video and convert it t a format/resolution that will be small enough to fit on a regular DVD. You could then use software such as Burn or Toast to burn the DVD to a standard DVD.

How much space does the movie take up on your Blu-ray?

OP
G
Reaction score
VLC will also convert files from one format to another. I'm guessing that member Ferrarr was suggesting that you use either VLC or HandBrake to extract the video and convert it t a format/resolution that will be small enough to fit on a regular DVD. You could then use software such as Burn or Toast to burn the DVD to a standard DVD.

How much space does the movie take up on your Blu-ray?

I've just noticed that vlc also converts files, never knew that, thanks. I didn't get it back from the studio yet. Should be very soon. The total video runs close to 4 hrs, so i'm assuming it would be a full blu-ray disk (max capacity). I just want to get all the software I need for the conversion so that I would do it asap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried converting a file using VLC a few days ago. For some reason it converted the first couple of minutes and called it good. Never did figure out what went wrong.

Don't forget, we are not talking about converting a file from one type to another here, or at least not exclusively. We are also looking at the conversion from NTSC to PAL (potentially).

I'm not actually sure there is a difference these days in TV standards. PAL, as used in the UK, was 625 lines at 50Hz, and NTSC was 525 lines at 60Hz. Those are archaic standards. Maybe 1080p in the UK and US is identical? I don't know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've just noticed that vlc also converts files, never knew that, thanks. I didn't get it back from the studio yet. Should be very soon. The total video runs close to 4 hrs, so i'm assuming it would be a full blu-ray disk (max capacity). I just want to get all the software I need for the conversion so that I would do it asap.

Full capacity for a single layer BluRay is 25Gb. That will require a lot of DVDs at 4.7Gb per disk. This might need a rethink.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Full capacity for a single layer BluRay is 25Gb. That will require a lot of DVDs at 4.7Gb per disk. This might need a rethink.

That's an understatement Kevin. :) Even if he were to use double layer DVDs, that's going to require a lot of work and probably many ruined disks in the process. Maybe he can go back to whoever is doing the BR disk for him and instead have the video placed on double layer DVDs. It should fit on 3 disks if they use double layer and I don't think it matters what format it's in as long as it can be played thru a TV that does 1080P. However, I don't know what type of DVD player his relatives have, as that might make a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DVD player wouldn't matter too much, so long as the disk is encoded either region 0 (universal) or region 2 (UK/Europe). A region 1 DVD (North America/Japan) won't work over there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the input.

I have thought about the amount of GB's a blu-ray disk takes and the amount of DVDs needed to do a copy with 100% quality. I will probably reduce the quality a bit to fit onto 4 dvds (DL), but I will decide that once I'll get the process going. I was thinking of having 1hr of 4hrs per disk.

In terms of region codes, i'm not exactly sure what I have on my blu-ray recorder. I'm out of state for a few weeks now and all my stuff is at home. Just to make sure I understand this correctly, If I burn a PAL video file with North American region code, then those disks will still NOT work, right? I would need a burner with a European region code, right? I also believe that if I would be able to change my burner's region code to 0 (universal) then they should work anywhere, right?

Assuming that my burner is for NA, is there a way I could change the region code for my burner so that I would be able to burn the disk with European region code?

Here is a list so far of software for conversion:

1. Handbrake
2. VLC
3. MakeMKV

I have Adobe Premier Pro, I was thinking of using that program to convert from NTSC to PAL as well as splitting the video to fit onto DVDs. I also have Toast to burn DVDs. At this point I guess I need a program that will rip my wedding video from the Blu-ray. I was just hoping to find a program that will be able to do everything, from ripping to burning onto DVDs.

I don't want the studio to make me PAL dvd's because they want to charge extra for each disk. Just trying to save money on something I feel I can do myself.

Again, thank you guys for all the help, any suggestion or tip is always appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TV pictures standards are one thing, DVD region codes are another. A DVD must be region 2 to play on a European player. Your North American player is region 1. Both will play region 0 disks. These are intended to be universal.

I'm not sure whether a disk intended for the UK (PAL system) will play in France (SECAM system) or whether the TV type only matters to broadcast television. I suspect it would but I only mention this to show that we need to be clear about which tech is of interest here.

Most North American DVD players and burners are hardware locked to region 1 and cannot be changed. Elsewhere, DVD players sometimes have a software region lock that will allow the region to be changed up to 5 times, and then locks permanently at the last region set.

I'd find out from someone who knows for sure (your disk manufacturer?) what is required. I know how DVD works as far as region coding goes. The rest of my knowledge is patchy at best and entirely theoretical.

By the way, BluRay has region coding too. I believe there are 3 regions as opposed to DVDs 7. So that would need to be taken into account should you decide to supply a BD instead.

One last thought then I'll shut up. I shot a video of a wedding in my back yard using my MBP, uploaded the video to YouTube as a private video and sent the URL to anyone who wanted to watch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.