Why is the [⌘]+[click] not working correctly on this forum?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I always use [⌘]+[click] combination to open links in a new tab. Always, everywhere ...

Recently, on this forum I noticed that, the first attempt at [⌘]+[click] is ignored, and link starts to load in the same tab.
When I cancel or go back, and do [⌘]+[click] again, it does behave as it should, and opens the link in a new tab.
This is remarkably annoying :(

Pretty sure this also happened before macOS Sierra update, but I certainly do notice it now, as I visit the forum more often.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here's a test link:

www.mac-forums.com

When I click on it...it automatically opens a new tab. I simply "click" on it (no command key)...and the link opens in a new page/new tab.

Not sure what's up on your end. But I don't think it's the Mac-Fourms website.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I only use a simple click on this site to open a link in a new page. Even with Nick's test link above, while holding "command" and clicking, it opened a new tab. Have you tried both left and right "command" keys with the same issue?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I only use a simple click on this site to open a link in a new page. Even with Nick's test link above, while holding "command" and clicking, it opened a new tab. Have you tried both left and right "command" keys with the same issue?

Thanks for mentioning that.:) I to tried the "command + click" method mentioned by MBP17•David. And with both methods here were my results:

- click on a link...it opens a new browser tab...AND...that tab becomes the active window
- command + click on a link...it opens a new browser tab...AND...that tab is NOT the active window

In neither case (as mentioned in post #1)...does the clicked on link open in the existing tab (it always opens a new tab).

- Nick

OP
MBP17•David
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
The weird behaviour of ignoring a first attempt to open in a new tab is unique to a search results page (e.g. New Posts) on this forum*.

Links in posts always open in a new tab, with a 'normal' click.

* I don't see this happening on any other site, forum or page .. Just checked again, and yes, it is very consistent.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Things are working normally for me. If I click on the test link Nick provided or a search result such as "New Posts" the control click method works for me as does the single click method.

Have your click settings changed?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
For a while, I had a situation where CMD+click on any link here would open a new tab and immediately switch to it. However, all other sites would open the tab and not switch to it. A restart of Chrome didn't fix it. I had to restart my entire machine to stop that behavior. Not sure if it's anything specific that Mac-Forums is/was doing and I didn't bother digging too much into it..

OP
MBP17•David
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I double-checked both Safari and System Preference | Trackpad settings and everything is as it should be.
There's never any problem on any other site of forum in Safari (10.0), only on mac-forums.
The forum also works perfectly well in Firefox (48.0.2).

Yet it always, and I've done dozens of tests now, ignores the first ⌘-click, and opens the link in the same tab, once I go back, and do exactly the same again, it opens that same link in a new tab (and no, it doesn't shift the focus to the new tab, as per my settings).
If I try another link on the same (or other page) - it ignores ⌘ again, go back, ⌘-click on the same link again - ah, here's a new tab for you ...

Puzzling, to say the least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
MBP17•David;1729857 said:
The weird behaviour of ignoring a first attempt to open in a new tab is unique to a search results page (e.g. New Posts) on this forum*.

Links in posts always open in a new tab, with a 'normal' click.

* I don't see this happening on any other site, forum or page .. Just checked again, and yes, it is very consistent.
Are you referring to the "New Posts" button under the "Home/Forum" button? Those are Buttons and not links, they should not open new pages, unless you hold the modifier key.

PS: And. I just did a "command" + click on New Posts and it opened a new tab, but did not make it active.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I was just about to post the exact same thing as the OP. I don't use command + click, but a three-finger tap courtesy of MagicPrefs which works as a middle-button. Whenever I attempt that, it either opens a new tab and goes directly to it (which is rather annoying) or it doesn't do anything at all. And when I tap on a forum section, it either opens a new tab or opens in the same one, randomly.

I kept getting notifications to allow pop-ups and I eventually did, but sometimes the problem reoccurs and then goes away on its own.

And on another note, the forum is really slow for me and I am sure my internet is fine because other websites and forums are pretty fast. Could it be an extension I am using, for example? I have Ad Block and Ad Block Plus installed on Chrome.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And on another note, the forum is really slow for me and I am sure my internet is fine because other websites and forums are pretty fast. Could it be an extension I am using, for example? I have Ad Block and Ad Block Plus installed on Chrome.

Is it slow all the time or only occasionally? There are times when maintenance is being done by the forum IT people and that slows things down. I also experience slow downs in our forums while other forums are normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Is it slow all the time or only occasionally? There are times when maintenance is being done by the forum IT people and that slows things down. I also experience slow downs in our forums while other forums are normal.

Right now it is much better than yesterday but still not a 100%. The site was ridiculously slow for me the whole day yesterday and the day before and I had no idea why. I tried deleting cache and all of those things to no avail, and as I said, other sites and forums were working fine for me.

One more thing, does the "Notifications" feature in the forum only show messages or does it have the ability to show me how quoted my posts or replied to my thread, for example? Because that doesn't happen for me and I'd like to keep track of what happens.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
MBP17•David;1729818 said:
I always use [⌘]+[click] combination to open links in a new tab. Always, everywhere ...

Recently, on this forum I noticed that, the first attempt at [⌘]+[click] is ignored, and link starts to load in the same tab.
When I cancel or go back, and do [⌘]+[click] again, it does behave as it should, and opens the link in a new tab.
This is remarkably annoying :(

Pretty sure this also happened before macOS Sierra update, but I certainly do notice it now, as I visit the forum more often.

I've come across this thread late, but FWIW, I have precisely the same experience as David. And it's only on this Forum and very recent.

Workaround:

Right click on the post > Dropdown Menu > Top Item = Open in New Tab

OR

Live with the Cmd + Click not opening a new Tab - it's just as quick to Click on the "back" button on the top toolbar IF you are going from a List of Posts, view one and return to List.

But the real hassle is when you start with a List of Posts > Click on one > from within that thread, you go from page one to page two, then three. Then to get back to the original List of posts takes multiple click on the "back" arrow. That's where opening a thread in a new Tab has huge advantages. No matter how many pages you go to, or links you follow, everything is contained within that Tab. Cancel out of it. Back to List.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My navigation through Mac-Forums has been fine. Maybe I use it differently than some. I use the "New Posts" button, underneath the "Home/Forum" button, to get to all the most recent posts. When I read through a multi page thread, I can still click on the "New Posts" button and all the new posts, with new replies that I have not read through yet appear. Sometimes there are a lot of threads, but most times it is less than one page worth.

Again, I'm not sure how everyone uses the site, the is just my experience with it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
At one time the membership had a choice of which forum skin they wanted to use. Most of us were fine with the older skin but the ownership decided to align all their forums to look the same way. (Windows Secrets, Overclockers, and our forum) The skin currently being used has lost some of the features we previously had in place and implemented others. All in all, while I don't particularly like the look of our current skin, it is better in that it will save an incomplete reply in case you accidentally leave or the system goes down. Plus our Premium Membership members do not see the ads.

OP
MBP17•David
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem is still there, perfectly consistent, as in ALWAYS ignoring the first ⌘-click, and ALWAYS reacting correctly, once the first attempt is either cancelled in Safari address bar, or when back immediately to the starting page, and ⌘-click on the SAME link again. Trying any other link and it goes back to #1.

As Ian explained perfectly, it is very convenient to have a search result page open in a 'main' tab and ⌘-click open threads in separate tabs, while going through the list of say, new posts. I then usually mark forums read, close the 'main' tab and go to read selected threads in their separate tabs. In my mind, it makes perfect sense. Of course, the 'secondary click | Open in New Tab' works too, but I'm so used to do this with just one click ... One other workaround, is to read this forum in Firefox, where ⌘-click works as it should, first time, every time.

OP
MBP17•David
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the mystery is solved!

Turns out, the culprit is the "Adobe Tag Management (Beacons)" tracker.

Install Ghostery, don't whitelist this forum (sorry) - everything is as it should be.
Re-enable the tracker, reload forum page - exact same behaviour as described originally.
Tried half a dozen times - perfectly consistent.
Happy days.

cheers_zpsu7gw8fuv.gif~original

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Nice job there. Thanks for reporting back.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And I have confirmed this; exactly as David stated.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
what is " click" Is that space key??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.