iPad can't see iTunes shared library

Reaction score
I have my homesharing set up and my iTunes library can be seen by the apple tv and my iPad and phone. My husband's iPad and phone can't see it. Everything looks correct. We are on the same network and he is set up in our family home sharing.
I give up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Try logging on to the iPad or iPhone with your AppleID and check whether the device will see the shared library. If it does, it points toward family sharing as the problem.

First thing you need to find out is what your problem actually is. You already know that home sharing is not the problem, because 3 devices are already using it, so that can be ruled out.

Next up, the devices that can't see it could have a problem, but two of them? I'd be looking for a single problem that affects multiple devices before I believed that two or more devices had the same problem.

If you come to the conclusion that family home sharing is the problem, one possible solution may be to kick your husband off and then invite him back. Before you do that though, I'd log into one of your known good devices with his ID and see if you can see the shared library with it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Has this ever worked? What app is having this issue? Are you able to access his shared iTunes library?

OP
C
Reaction score
I would try deleting him and adding him back except he will be locked out and not able to join family again for a year. How stupid is that. I can't test it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a pain. Did you try to join family sharing using one of your devices? That, at least, would give some indication as to whether it is set up properly. As @ferrarr asked, has this ever worked for you? It would be useful to know, so that we know whether we are dealing with a change that has stopped it from working, or whether it was never working off the bat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I would try deleting him and adding him back except he will be locked out and not able to join family again for a year. How stupid is that. I can't test it.
Where is this specified?

curlymac, he can leave the "Family" sharing and then he can join again, I've done that recently.

OP
C
Reaction score
I never tried before with his devices so don't know it it was working before. I assume not. Although he can see my purchases on iTunes and gets the family calendar.
When I went to delete him I got a dialog box that said family members can only join 2x a year and he can't join again until January. so I didn't delete.
We had an issue with the calendar one time when he switched phones and i had to re-add him.
We were going to do apple music to share until I realized it wiped out nearly half of my media files in iTunes. thank goodness for backups.

If I try logging him into my iPad, will all my stuff disappear?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All of the Apple devices in my house use a single AppleID, essentially so that my son can share my credit card (his idea). If you haven't figured this out by the time I get home in a couple of days, I'll borrow one of his friends and set up family sharing, which I've never needed to do before. I can't figure out what might be wrong without being able to experiment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All of the Apple devices in my house use a single AppleID, essentially so that my son can share my credit card (his idea). If you haven't figured this out by the time I get home in a couple of days, I'll borrow one of his friends and set up family sharing, which I've never needed to do before. I can't figure out what might be wrong without being able to experiment.
What you are doing at home is the very thing Family Sharing was meant for. If he has his own Apple ID, and you create a Family, with your Apple ID as the organizer, you can still share all iTunes, iTunes App Store, iBooks, Mac App Store purchases, and he will be able to purchase using your CC info.

I have two Apple ID's for myself and set my oldest Apple ID, from when I just started with iTunes, as the organizer and used my second Apple ID to join the Family. I have added my wife, but I can't convince my kids to join the Family. I like the way it works.

@curlymac, I haven't seen that dialog when I was leaving the Family Sharing, but I will look for it if I have to leave Family Sharing to make a purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Family sharing didn't exist when my kid started amassing his collection of apps. I suppose I could start him off now with his own ID, but it has never been a problem.

Could be worth it though so I don't get his dreadful music on my phone.

OP
C
Reaction score
so I called the apple genius at customer support and he said my husband's iPad and iPhone have to be signed in with my apple ID in the music app under home sharing. Does that make sense? Not to me. It works but it doesn't sound right. He said that's how it is designed to work. I don't think so.
He said home sharing is different than family sharing on iCloud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does make a certain amount of sense. No harm in trying his iPad first to check it out. I'd make a backup first though.

Actually, yes. It makes perfect sense. The media is owned by your AppleID. His devices need to access the media via that ID. The family share gives his ID permission. That's how I read it anyway.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. This forum is always helpful in a pinch.
Hubby is happy to see the music now

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.