Annotating photos in ElCapitan

Reaction score
I am using an iMac desktop with ElCapitan IOS. I would like to be able to add text to iMac 'photos'. Does anyone know of a way to do this while working within the photos program. I do not want to have to use a 3rd party software and switch back and forth (such as using preview). I am working on genealogy and it would certainly helpful to be able to identify older photos with names but seems too timely to have to constantly go from one program to another. Thanks:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

As far as I know, there is no way to add text using the Photos program, at least not in the current version. It's not that difficult to use Preview or your favorite photo editing program. Unfortunately, not everything can be done with a single program such as Photos. There are other photo editing programs available which allow annotating the photos with text from within the program.

Also, El Capitan is not iOS it's OS X version 10.11.X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
One of the best apps I've found for annotating photographs is Skitch. Have a look at RadDave's images for examples of what it can do. I know he uses it extensively (or something quite like it).

EDIT: I know this is not what the OP asked for, but if it turns out that the original wishlist is impossible, I figure an alternative ready in waiting can't be a bad thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
One of the best apps I've found for annotating photographs is Skitch. Have a look at RadDave's images for examples of what it can do. I know he uses it extensively (or something quite like it).

EDIT: I know this is not what the OP asked for, but if it turns out that the original wishlist is impossible, I figure an alternative ready in waiting can't be a bad thing.

Hi Kevin - yep, I've used Skitch on the iPad, but rely on Preview for nearly all of my photo manipulations in OS X (well, now macOS) - adding arrows and text is so easy - I did not reply to the OP because as you stated, she wanted 'one-stop' shopping - and Photos at the moment does not offer that text option, as already posted. For more complicated image editing in OS X, I use Pixelmator - SO, if our OP returns and is willing to use more than a single app, then I can find some of my older posts about Preview - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good info Dave. I'll check out the annotations in Preview. I've never used them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Good info Dave. I'll check out the annotations in Preview. I've never used them.

Kevin - just put together a few pics (done in Preview) to show you the POWER of this free app, many features that most never know about or discover - in the first image below, I've opened a Gulf of Mexico pic of mine from a recent FL trip - a portion of the image is selected for cropping; the 'Toolbox Icon' opens the lower menu bar - there I've selected the imaging resizing option - SO, the basics that all needs, i.e. cropping and image resizing.

NOW, that's just for starters (keep in mind that multiple images can be opened @ once) - in the second image, I've simply done a few of the numerous choices; added an arrow w/ text (as seen, the colors, fonts, etc. can be easily changed); color adjustments can be also done - to the left are other selection options including a 'magic' lasso; to the far right are the adjustments for varying text/screen colors.

Finally, an inexpensive eBook on my iPad that does a decent job of covering Preview - both the image features and ALSO, PDF file reading options - this is an outstanding app that probably does 90+% of my imaging needs for posting - well worth exploring. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 11.04.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 11.07.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 11.00.32 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave. That looks like well worth exploring. I was writing some AirDrop instructions last night, and just dumped the screenshots into the post. Couldn't be bothered with Skitch. Wish I'd known about this then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.