• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Home Movies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC with an M1 chip &16 GB Memory
I am a relative newly to the Mac world so please bear with me. I purchased a new Mac in Feb and am running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 using a 3.1 GHV Intel core I5 processor with8 GB memory and Intel Iris pro. I have quite a few home movies using the Hi 8 movie camera and want to run them thru my computer and burn them to DVD's. What am I going to need to accomplish this? Software, cables, patience etc, etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You will most likely need a cable and a converter. It depends on what kind of output your camera has. I just ordered an Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter for the same reason. I have the FireWire cord for my camera already. You should have iMovie on your Mac already, and that should be able to import the movies.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, so I purchased the Thunderbolt Fire wire adapter and a new firewire and this is great for the digital movies. I also have about 15 tapes of ANALOG movies that are Hi 8 and need to transfer these to my computer and then DVD. I have been informed that I need to transfer these tapes from analog to digital. I still have the original camera and it has the three RED WHITE YELLOW RCA plugs that go into a single plug that plugs into the camera. Is there a simple solution that plugs into the RCA plugs and then into the computer? What are my options? Any suggestions other than a transfer service?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Since you have not mentioned the model of your "camera", it may be able to do what you want. You can also search for "convert VHS to digital" like this, convert vhs to mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am looking at the "Clear Click video to digital converter" and was wondering if anybody has had experience with this device. Will I be able to insert the DVD after recording with this device into my computer and then edit it? I have tried several time to add the address from Amazon to this email but have been unsuccessful. The one I am looking at is for sale for $109 dollars plus change.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Check out this video on their site. The video is actually transferred to the computer by USB. To put it into aa DVD format that can be understood by a DVVD player you would need to "burn" the movie(s) to DVD using software such as Burn (free) or Toast. Toast is not free but there are some limited feature versions in the App Store that are cheaper than the full version.

The Amazon page for this device is here. Did you see the notice near the bottom of the page about outdo and video getting out of sync if recordings are over two hours long?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I checked the video and it looks good. I did see the notice about the two hour time limit, the majority of my tapes are 1 1/2 to 2 hours in length so I am good there. I was going to import them to my computer using imovie and then edit and burn them to dvd. Is that possible or will I need Burn and/or Toast to accomplish this?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You shouldn't need to burn them to DVD to import them into iMovie. Here's what I would try.

1. Follow their directions for connecting the device to the camera/vcr and making the recording.
2. This should result in a file that can be transferred to the computer follow the directions for doing that.
3. Try to import the file into iMovie. If that does not work the software included with the device can probably convert the file to something useful (such as .mp4 or QuickTime Movie .mov)

If the software won't do that there is tons of third party software (free and paid) that should do the trick. Just post back with any questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You shouldn't need to burn them to DVD to import them into iMovie.
Sly, he wants to burn to dvd after editing with iMovie.

I was going to import them to my computer using imovie and then edit and burn them to dvd. Is that possible or will I need Burn and/or Toast to accomplish this?
After editing in iMovie, Share your project to File to produce a movie file of your Project. You will need Burn or Toast to make your dvd. Burn will do just the same as Toast and is free.

Open Burn, choose Video from the four buttons at the top of the window, and select DVD-Video from the popup menu on the right. Drag and drop your movie file into the window, agree to it being converted(it has to be for the dvd) and then click on the "Burn" button.

Just remember, having imported and converted from Hi8, Shared(and converted) from iMovie, converted again in Burn, the finished quality/resolution is not going to be great,

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was under the impression (perhaps mistaken) that the OP was still at the stage of getting the video to be burned off of a camera/vcr for editing and burning. Hence the interest in that piece of hardware. If you are right your steps should work like a charm.

Reaction score
Pretty much relative situation like you... mostly newbies have!
But never the less you're at right place..
i hope you got your solution...
Looking forward..
Cheers!
#Brain

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.