I Movie

Reaction score
Hello- I have a 2013 Mac Book Pro that spent 5 months being repaired by an Apple Support store, after I followed the Help Desk instructions for trouble shooting for "Finalizing" an I Movie project for my granddaughter's swim team. I had already been to the Apple Store from 5-10pm (yes they stayed after hours) but to no avail. One issue was not enough room in the Heap zone, but it also just quits unexpected near the very end.. When Apple Support (on phone) suggested I download the latest Operating system I virtually LOST everything- thus the 5 months in an authorized Mac Repair shop that was highly recommended. They were able to save & restore my laptop but unfortunately I Movie will not allow me to finalize any project with transitions, music etc. Bottom line is I need a software program to create DVDs for a swim team's banquet every year. I am not a beginner but some of the free trials were a tad complicated for this Grandma. Any suggestions? I tried "i sky software" last night & had no trouble but saw a negative review. HELP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Which version of iMovie do you have? Talking of Finalizing would suggest iMovie11(v9), but if you bought your MBP in 2013, it could well be the latest version which is iMovie10.

If you do have iMovie11, then there is no real need to Finalize a Project. All that does is create copies of your Project in every resolution that it will support, and make them available to other applications(Pages, Keynote etc) through the Media Browser. If you don't want this, then there is no need to Finalize.

I take it that you don't have iDVD on your Mac? If you did, then you could Share from iMovie to iDVD to make your DVD. If you don't have iDVD, then download the free "Burn".
http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

Export/Share your iMovie Project as a Movie and then use the resultant movie file to make a dvd with Burn. Make sure to select "Video" from the four choices at the top of the Burn window and DVD-Video from the popup menu on the right. Drag and drop your video file into the window, agree to have the file converted when asked(it has to be to make the dvd) and then click on the Burn button.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.