iPhone 5S ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Air 2 64GB, 8GB iPod, 2GB iPod
I'm in the process of going to Walmarts Straight Talk or Total Wireless and they offer a iPhone 5S for $150. I realize this phone has been out for a while but just wondering any thoughts on this model, any major problems? Tried a search here on iPhone 5S but didn't seem to bring up any. We have been using flip phones and they kinda have outlived their usefulness. Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Kenny

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The iPhone 5s is a good phone but old technology in today's smart phone market. You might want to shop around a bit before committing to Wal-Mart straight talk and $150 for the phone. If that's the best deal you can come up with, then go ahead. Also, you didn't mention the capacity of the iPhone 5s? Entry level capacity for that phone was 8GB or 16GB (I don't remember which). If possible, get a 32GB model or larger. Not sure if Wal-Mart will give you a choice on that though.

OP
kennyleri
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chscag, Sorry it's a 16G. Seems the only other iphone is a iphone 6s and kinda out of what I wanted to spend for a phone. Also need one for wife too but she isn't interested in a iPhone.

I guess there is a iPhone SE too.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Seems the only other iphone is a iphone 6s and kinda out of what I wanted to spend for a phone.

Seems that the limited selection of choices makes the 5s the choice (if you decide to go with this plan).:)

- Nick

OP
kennyleri
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick, Seems like a good phone for my needs. Were trying to sort out if we should stay with verizon or trying to save some coin and going to straight talk/total wireless that rides on the verizon network.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Choosing a cell provider/contract certainly can be a really really big project (and headache):(...especially if you want a low cost plan that only provides you with what you need (and nothing else).

I know many folks start this process fully charged and ready to "rock & roll" to find the best low cost plan...and after a few days (and a couple hours each day)...they say "Screw It"...I'll just pay my $45, $55, $65, etc. per month and not worry about the details.

Choosing the phone to go with the plan is usually the easy part!:)

Good luck...stay strong...don't give up & give in!:)

- Nick

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Chscag, Sorry it's a 16G. Seems the only other iphone is a iphone 6s and kinda out of what I wanted to spend for a phone. Also need one for wife too but she isn't interested in a iPhone.

I guess there is a iPhone SE too.

The 16GB size will give you an actual capacity of around 12GB after the space iOS takes up plus the built in Apple apps. But as long as you're not doing a lot of downloading or installing of games or apps, you should be OK. As for the iPhone SE, forget it, as it will be too expensive. If the two iPhone 5s devices for $300 is the best deal you can get, go ahead. As for your wife not being interested, after using an iPhone for a bit, she may change her mind. My wife was the same way. She now has a 6s+ with 64GB and loves it. Gets more use out of her phone than I do mine. ;)

OP
kennyleri
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys for the inputs. Last night I had a chance to actually hold the 5S and for me it's to boxy and I think I would really like a bit larger display for these aging eyes too. I won't be playing games or running a lot of apps either, retired and just more for convenience, maybe some photos, probably very little web surfing other to look up something. Not in a pressing hurry will keep looking.

Kenny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I have a 5s (64gb) and love it. You do need a big memory of you are doing anything other than just calls/texts; previous 16gb 4s was full in no time. It does everything I want/need (photos, music, calls, texts, king, facebook, google maps, amazon, WhatsApp etc) and I like the size. I don't want to carry a brick! I bought it outright about 18 months ago and have a SIM only deal (which are popular and cheap in the UK). Camera not very good in poor light and zoom is hopeless but I have a 'proper' camera for when I want decent images - the phone is for capturing something I would miss when out and about.

OP
kennyleri
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Sue for the input too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
The 5S is still a decent phone - it's actually what I still use for my work phone (I'm eligible for upgrade, and have been for a while, but have purposefully been waiting to upgrade to the 7). The specific phone you're mentioning is ONLY useable with the Straight Talk (TracFone) wireless network and doesn't support "unlocking" to move to another carrier. Additionally, you never know whether you will be receiving one with a CDMA radio in it or not (they ALL have GSM radios), so you have to understand whether or not your area is well-supported by AT&T or T-Mobile before you commit to buying that specific model.

For the cost of those phones, I opted to buy two quality used ones from individuals that didn't have their craniums inserted deeply into their rectums when it came to what they were asking for the phones. Those went to the kids, they are activated on an AT&T-based SIM and using AT&T towers in my area, and all is well.

OP
kennyleri
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Ember1205, are area here in Florida seems to work well with the verizon towers, so whatever we get will be suited for that. Good to know about the lack of ability to have phone unlocked. I have tried looking on Craigs but it seems most are on another network which I guess could be unlocked, are over priced or have a cracked display or really blemished. Gonna have to go to verizon store next. for as little as I use a phone I'm not so sure it's worth it anymore for myself as long a wife has one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Verizon-specific iPhone 5S will work on AT&T and T-Mobile with no unlocking required. The AT&T and T-Mobile phones will work on "each others'" networks after being unlocked. They MAY work on the Verizon network, but it isn't guaranteed. Sprint phones are Sprint only and you can't bring a non Sprint phone to the Sprint network.

Look for a Verizon-specific phone for your needs (if you intend to use the Verizon towers / service from Straight Talk). My AT&T-based phones have always performed fine for me in the greater Orlando, greater Miami, greater Fort Lauderdale, greater Palm Beach, and Disney areas. It might be worth looking to see what sort of coverage you have from AT&T in the areas that you spend 95% of your time and go that way with service if need be. And, if you do, you can use any Verizon or AT&T phone and any T-Mobile phone that is (or can be) unlocked. Opens up your choices.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like to remind folks once more... that the new AT&T and T-Mobile iPhone 7 can not be used on the Verizon or Sprint network as neither phone has a CDMA radio built in as was with previous iPhones. However, the Verizon and Sprint iPhone 7 can be used on any network as they have both radios and bands built in. Apple will be selling the sim free version of the iPhone 7 later on (probably around October) and that has all radios and bands built in and can be used on any US carrier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like to remind folks once more... that the new AT&T and T-Mobile iPhone 7 can not be used on the Verizon or Sprint network as neither phone has a CDMA radio built in as was with previous iPhones. However, the Verizon and Sprint iPhone 7 can be used on any network as they have both radios and bands built in. Apple will be selling the sim free version of the iPhone 7 later on (probably around October) and that has all radios and bands built in and can be used on any US carrier.

Not 100% correct. Sprint does not allow non-Sprint phones on their network. Period. So, the Verizon model will not work on the Sprint network, ever.

The AT&T-branded iPhone 6 and 6S was supposed to have been the same way, I thought, and those work on the Verizon network just fine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not 100% correct. Sprint does not allow non-Sprint phones on their network. Period. So, the Verizon model will not work on the Sprint network, ever.

My understanding is that this is no longer true and that the Sprint and Verizon iPhone 7 and 7+ are identical. That means a former Verizon customer with a fully paid iPhone 7 and 7+ (and no contract) can use their phone on Sprint.

The AT&T-branded iPhone 6 and 6S was supposed to have been the same way, I thought, and those work on the Verizon network just fine.

It's only the AT&T and T-Mobile iPhone 7 and 7+ which are limited to the GSM LTE bands only and will not work with CDMA. The 6s and 6s+ will work on both networks (GSM and CDMA).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My understanding is that this is no longer true and that the Sprint and Verizon iPhone 7 and 7+ are identical. That means a former Verizon customer with a fully paid iPhone 7 and 7+ (and no contract) can use their phone on Sprint.

It's not about the phone... It's about the carrier. I didn't say it wouldn't work, I said Sprint doesn't allow it.

It's only the AT&T and T-Mobile iPhone 7 and 7+ which are limited to the GSM LTE bands only and will not work with CDMA. The 6s and 6s+ will work on both networks (GSM and CDMA).

Good to know. I was under the impression that the 6/6S phones were sold as CDMA + GSM or GSM only (supposedly), but I have successfully used "GSM only" handsets on CDMA after unlocking them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not about the phone... It's about the carrier. I didn't say it wouldn't work, I said Sprint doesn't allow it.

OK, understand. I know from personal experience that Sprint is very difficult to deal with. I had them as my carrier for several years but switched away after dealing with their terrible customer support.

OP
kennyleri
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again for all the good info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.