iPhone 7 is here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
I am not certain why everyone is so upset about the AirPods?

To start with the 7 does come with the traditional headset, with the difference being it attaches to the lightening port. People don't need purchase the AirPods, if they don't like them. It's not like there will not be aftermarket products in couple of month...

The iPhone 7 is water resistant, has a longer battery life and image stabilization for the camera , that probably due to replacing the headphone jack. Water resistance and image stabilization are the reasons why I am getting a 7...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I like that Apple has eliminated the 16GB version and went with 32GB as the basic storage for the 7. What I don't like is that they also eliminated the 64GB version with the next step up being the 128GB model. I'm not a big iPhone user as most young folks are but I guess if I do trade up from my 6+ to a 7+, I'll go with 128GB.

Now might be a good time to buy a 6s or 6s+ as the price on those should be reduced although I haven't heard by how much. And, I agree about the headphones. No big deal for me. Not too many folks are going to be rushing to their Apple Store to purchase a set of Air Pods for $160.00.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The 7 SE still has 16GB, all for $649.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The 7 SE still has 16GB, all for $649.

Where did you see that there is even a 7 SE? The Apple site only shows the 7 and 7+, no SE model. Do you have a link?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
The model is iPhone SE.

It's most of the guts of a 6s in a 5s case, apparently for those who still like a smaller phone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The model is iPhone SE.

LOL, that's a lot different than an iPhone 7SE. The iPhone SE has been around for awhile and that's probably what Bob meant. However, as I stated to the OP, the iPhone SE will be too expensive compared to the 5s he can get from Wal-Mart for $150.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
We only do the odd number upgrades, 3, 5, so far. So will probably going for the 7.

Phone jack or lack thereof is no issue for me. Since I retired my phone usage has changed, and my public uniform is now cargo pants or cargo shorts, so I will be choosing the 7+ for the bigger screen and better camera.

EDIT: the bigger news for me was the changes to iWatch. With the addition of GPS it at last becomes suitable as a runners watch. That, and the one-button 911 call feature means I will be ordering one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

Considering an iPhone purchase (mainly to replace my ancient iPod MP3 music player), I'm still using a 'cheap' dumb phone which serves me fine in retirement - although I've been a BT guy (headphones, travel speakers, home AV, etc.) for years, I would not purchase the 'new' Apple ear buds - my wife has hundreds of ear rings and MANY single ones - unless Apple adds a cord to attach the two (or third parties come out w/ connection options) - I'd simply go w/ BT headphones - cheaper and less likely to be lost. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 6.20.35 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well I did watch the keynote - or most of it anyway. For some reason when at work they expect me to work - who knew? Anyway, I am seriously thinking of getting the iPhone 7+. My videographer background likes the dual camera and video upgrades. I also do not like the issues that might crop up with my iPhone 6+ although who is to say they fixed it in the 7+? I can hope.

So tomorrow is Friday - decisions decisions. Hum.... we shall see.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@RadDave. Well, you know where to go if you do get an iPhone. (Not that I'm plugging other forums, you understand) I don't think you'll be disappointed. They add functionality to the Apple system that'll make you wonder how you managed without.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, that's a lot different than an iPhone 7SE. The iPhone SE has been around for awhile and that's probably what Bob meant. However, as I stated to the OP, the iPhone SE will be too expensive compared to the 5s he can get from Wal-Mart for $150.

Agreed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I did watch the keynote - or most of it anyway. For some reason when at work they expect me to work - who knew? Anyway, I am seriously thinking of getting the iPhone 7+. My videographer background likes the dual camera and video upgrades. I also do not like the issues that might crop up with my iPhone 6+ although who is to say they fixed it in the 7+? I can hope.

So tomorrow is Friday - decisions decisions. Hum.... we shall see.

Lisa

I'm going to wait for the sim free model which Apple will have for sale about two or three weeks after the 7 and 7+ goes on sale. In case no one has been following the news about the new iPhones... if you buy the AT&T model or the T-Mobile model iPhone 7 or 7+, they can not be used for Sprint or Verizon as they do not contain a CDMA radio like the previous models do. So, if you're planning on changing carriers, it's best to buy the sim free phone or the Verizon/Sprint model as they can be used with any US or other carrier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
I like that Apple has eliminated the 16GB version and went with 32GB as the basic storage for the 7. What I don't like is that they also eliminated the 64GB version with the next step up being the 128GB model. I'm not a big iPhone user as most young folks are but I guess if I do trade up from my 6+ to a 7+, I'll go with 128GB.

Now might be a good time to buy a 6s or 6s+ as the price on those should be reduced although I haven't heard by how much. And, I agree about the headphones. No big deal for me. Not too many folks are going to be rushing to their Apple Store to purchase a set of Air Pods for $160.00.
Yes, Apple has finally listened and replaced the 16GB with 32GB minimum size...

The ratio between the storage sizes are the same. The 6 has 16 --> 64 --> 128, while the seven comes with 32 --> 128 --> 256 GBs options. The pricing for the 7 with 128GB is same as the 6s with 64GB, based on the current full price. The chances are that 32GB version will be just fine for me for less than that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Where did you see that there is even a 7 SE? The Apple site only shows the 7 and 7+, no SE model. Do you have a link?
Yep, sorry, thought they added a seven to it this year, my bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1, 8-core Xeon
Well, think about it this way. It's all proprietary. You need the adapter to use old 3.5mm headphones. Sure the iPhone 7 comes with it, but if you lose it (and I believe most will), it'll cost you $9 to replace. As well, if you want to use the adapter so you can use your current 3.5mm headphone (instead going out to by $150+ wireless headsets), you CAN'T charge your phone at the same time. Your stuck with one or the other. Hardly innovative. And the headsets that come with the iPhones suck! Terrible sound, and doesn't sit well in the ear. To get a nice deep base, you have literally have to jam them in your ear (to make a seal), but they don't stay in. I can't see the airpods being different, other than it's wireless and $150.

The 6S has already been tested (independently. check youtube) to be water proof/resistent. So the "water resistent" sell, is moot.

Except for the camera, there really isn't anything innovative and new on the iPhone 7. I'm sure, as with all other initial launches of new phones, there will be kinks. Which they will fix, and improve upon on the 7S. So if I decide to upgrade from my 6S, I'd wait till the 7S.

They also got rid of the 64GB model and 16GB model, with 32GB, 128GB, and 256GB. I can understand the 16GB, that's way to small. Considering the file sizes of pics and videos on the 6S. IMO, 64GB would be my choice. Not too big, not too small. 32GB would be bare minimum for me, and I'd find myself having to constantly backup and delete photos and video on my phone to make room for new ones. Or better yet, why doesn't Apple just build a micro SD slot on their phones. Oh, ya. It's called proprietary.

The main reason why I've stuck with the iPhone for so long, is because for me, it's always had the best camera. Still does. But even this isn't enough for me to even consider upgrading. The processor speed is also important to me. But considering the 6S is almost twice as fast as the 6, that means the 7 isn't that much faster than the 6S. At least not as considerable as it is against the 6.

My biggest take away, is removing the 3.5mm input. There isn't any reason for it, except to set a new trend. A trend most really don't like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1, 8-core Xeon
"The pricing for the 7 with 128GB is same as the 6s with 64GB, based on the current full price."

It's more expensive. I've checked my local shops, and it's about $100 (at least) more. Apple isn't going to sell a 128GB model for the price of a 64GB of a previous model. Defeats their purpose of getting rid of the 3.5mm input. Apple is trying to make many of it's products as proprietary as possible. And we all know the only reason why any company wants to make things proprietary. Mo money, mo money, mo money!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1, 8-core Xeon
True. But BT headsets aren't cheap. And the cheap ones, are just that...cheap. Crappy sound. Even the buds that came with the 6S and earlier are crap. My generic $50 wired ear buds sound so much better. Because they make a proper seal in my ear. These buds don't. So the sounds sound hollow. Bass sounds flat, and you can't hear the highs, unless you jam them in your ear. But they don't stay in long. So you find yourself having to keep jamming them to make a seal every couple of minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1, 8-core Xeon
I'd wait for the 7S. Like all other first iPhones, the 7 will have kinks. Which they will fix and improve on other things on the 7S. Until they come with something "different" for the iPhone 8. Which will have it's kinks and problems, but fixed and improved upon on the 8S. That's why I always wait for the S models. I guarantee you, the camera on the 7S will be better than the 7. Save your money till then. My 6S still takes great pics. It's the camera I carry around with me all the time. My DSLR collects dust. I only use it for high quality images I need for work. But for every day camera for Facebook, Instagram, random 6x4 prints, or photo CD's, the 6S camera is more than enough. The video is pretty good too. Not much incentive for me to upgrade to the 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 5K, ElCapitan 10.11.3, Airport Extr, 15" MacBook Pro, Mavericks, 10.9.3, iPad 3, iPhone 6S
I'm not sure the iPhone 7 is enough better than my iPhone 6S to upgrade. There are some improvements, but most of them are in the iPhone 7+ and I don't like the bigger size of the 7+, although the larger screen would be nice. It doesn't fit into my front pants pocket. My 6S has 64 GBtytes and is plenty of memory. Not sure why I'd need 128 or 256 GBytes. I don't download movies to my iPhone. I do like the improvements to the Apple Watch. It's interesting that there are basically two prices $369 (and up, $399 for the 42 mm case) and $1199 and up. Think the more expensive one is just the quality of the case and band. I can't see any difference in the watch itself. That is a big premium for case and band to "show off". I'm stretching to justify the $399 for the basic model with the slightly larger screen. I'm really tempted to replace my Fitbit Charge with an Apple Phone.

I switched to T-Mobile last year. It's tempting the get the new iPhone 7 as it won't cost any more (but it extends the length of the lease payments to pay it off). I think T-Mobile's philosophy is that by upgrading each time Apple has a new phone, you never pay them off and lease phones from them for ever. I had to pay extra to the the 64 Mbyte phone. Maybe that will be the standard for the 7. I haven't compared pricing with what I paid for the 6S.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.