I need knowledge/help

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been having a terrible time trying to purchase my next machine.

A little about myself, I am a college student currently deciding between computer engineering and computer science. I am looking to buy a nice laptop that I will have throughout school. I don't really have a price point but, I'd rather not spend a ton, by ton I mean 1500+

I want to make sure that I get a machine that will be able to do what I need it to do for school and be able to handle light gaming on the side, i.e. League of legends.. It doesn't have to run them at 100fps on ultra settings, just playable.

I am currently stressing out between choosing between the two OS's.
My Windows choice is a Lenovo yoga pro 710 with 16gb ram, 256gb ssd, 6th gen i7 6500cpu and a Gtx940mx. This laptop will cost me 750$ new and I believe it is a really good deal.
As far as a Mac choice goes, I am looking at MacBook pros but, the hardware just doesn't seem comparable.. Like it would be an i5 processor, 4gb ram, 128gb ssd and no dedicated GPU. It seems like way less for way more but, the sales teams tell me the MacBook is faster and better? I just don't understand why?

My questions and where the help is needed would be:
1) which OS should I go with?
2) why would the Mac be better with lower specs? I just can't wrap my mind around it.

Thank you for your help! I just really want to understand why it seems like I get so little with such a high price while buying a Mac. I have absolutely nothing against Mac, I just don't understand and I want to make the best choice for my future schooling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Hello, and welcome.

You can't measure the machines side-by-side based on hardware because they will never line up. Windows requires a lot more overhead to run the operating system than Mac OS X does, so you'll always see higher specs on the Windows machines. The single most effective thing to increase performance on a laptop is an SSD as opposed to a mechanical drive. Laptop mechanical hard drives are insanely slow as most of them are 5400RPM. Moving to a Solid State Drive will increase your performance -substantially-. If you have some extra money that you can add to the mix, upgrade the RAM as well.

I realize you're trying to buy a machine to suit many different tasks, but here are a couple of points to consider:

- As a college student, your goal is to further your education and knowledge - NOT top the leaderboard of League of Legends. Make sure that your machine suits your primary need properly, period. Anything that it will "also do" is a bonus.

- My current MacBook Air is 2.5 years old and runs every bit as well as it did the day I got it. I've never owned a Windows machine that still ran well as few as 6-9 months after being put into service. I buy Mac because they "just work" and they last significantly longer than a Windows machine. I typically find myself flattening out my Windows machine and starting from scratch about every 15-18 months.

- There are a LOT more programs for Windows machines. There are also a LOT more viruses and malware. Evaluate what you need for an operating system based on the programs you'll need to run while at school. I would suppose that there's very little you will need on a machine for school beyond a spreadsheet and a word processor.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Let me suggest starting with what software and tasks while be involved in the two areas you are considering. I suspect comparable tools are available for both platforms but I am not sure about that. It's not an area I am very familiar with at all.

I'd suggest talking to professors/students in those two departments but that shouldn't be your only source of information. I know personally of situations where someone was told various tasks couldn't be done on a Mac and that information wasn't completely accurate. If you can give us an idea what software is being recommended perhaps someone can give you more concrete suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I agree with the posts from Slydude and Ember1205. To add to what they are saying I would agree you need to see what software/apps you will be needing as that may just determine what you purchase.

When it comes to cost, yes a similar mac will cost more than a pc. But with the mac, the build quality is better and it will last longer. I have a 2009 Macbook that is still going strong after an upgrade to an SSD. I have owned many many PC laptops and never had one not only last for years, but also maintain it's performance level.

Also keep in mind Apple provides upgrades to OS X free. Microsoft does not tend to do that - except for the recent Windows 10 free upgrade that ended this past July. And don't forget, with Windows you will have to stay on top of the malware issues that you don't have with OS X.

Now as to gaming performance. If you are looking for something that can game at the level of say 60 fps (pretty standard) a mac is not really designed for that. Also most games are written for Windows. Yes, you can run Windows in bootcamp but if gaming is that important you might be better off with the Lenovo - although given it's thin design I would wonder if gaming would overheat it. My son games and his gaming computer has a serious cooling system to keep it cool but the thing is a beast and would not be fun to haul around on campus.

You will need to determine what apps you will be running and what operating system they will need to operate under - that is the big question. Once you answer that you might just have your answers.

Lisa

OP
K
Reaction score
Okay, I would like to rephrase my question. From a school stand point, I will not need too much from my laptop, a professor laid out the specs for me and they are even less than what I am looking to buy. As far as the software goes, he has told me that if I purchase a mac, I will have it booted in windows about 80% of the time for school programs.

I guess my real question is that I just don't understand apple hardware and what makes it so superior to windows. I will link the two computers I am fighting between to better explain.

The first computer will cost me 750$ after my discount that I will be receiving for being a student:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...ve-black/5225018.p?id=bb5225018&skuId=5225018

This is the MacBook that I was looking at and can get for 1150$ after my discount:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-m...lver/8532557.p?id=1219343246941&skuId=8532557

Now, after looking at those two and knowing the prices on each, seeing both computer specs, I don't understand why in the world anyone would point me to the mac for pure power.. I just can't wrap my mind around it, what makes the Mac so superior? When I look at the mac specs compared to the Lenovo I just giggle, I don't mean that in an offensive way, I just feel like my chain is getting pulled saying the mac has more power and is faster. What would make the mac to much faster than that pc? Is it the OS that runs differently, thus using less specs?

I get that there are less viruses, better quality, smoother interface and less problems over all but, when it comes down to sheer power, how is it better?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If you had access to a computer shop that stocked both devices I think you would see why the Apple product is better in general but as stated above it must be able to suit your needs program/app wise.
It comes down to the basic reason why more Windows based computers are still sold than Mac's. If you can try to get a hands on demo of both.
You should consider a refurbished Mac as well, they come with warranties and you could get higher specs for the same price. The 2012 MBP non retina was a particularly good model with a DVD drive/burner as well. Most will have been upgraded to SSD's I should think but don't go for less than 256Gb storage, 128Gb is simply not enough.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now, after looking at those two and knowing the prices on each, seeing both computer specs, I don't understand why in the world anyone would point me to the mac for pure power.. I just can't wrap my mind around it, what makes the Mac so superior? When I look at the mac specs compared to the Lenovo I just giggle, I don't mean that in an offensive way, I just feel like my chain is getting pulled saying the mac has more power and is faster. What would make the mac to much faster than that pc? Is it the OS that runs differently, thus using less specs?

Keep in mind that you're asking these questions in a Mac forum. ;D Buy the Lenovo, use it for your school work and when you graduate you can always buy a Mac (after you get a job). :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Keep in mind that you're asking these questions in a Mac forum. ;D Buy the Lenovo, use it for your school work and when you graduate you can always buy a Mac (after you get a job). :)

I understand that I am asking on a Mac forum but, I was just having problems wrapping my mind around it and I was looking for someone to better explain to me WHY mac's are considered more powerful machines/better than their counter parts.

Any who UPDATE:
Well, after reading article after article, forum after forum, talking to person after person in any technological environment, i've finally picked up a MacBook Pro. I called almost every best buy within an hours radius from where I lived for a couple of days to find the one I wanted "open box," if you add the "on hold" time, I racked up about 6 hours on the phone. Finally! A Best Buy had the one I was almost looking for "open box" and it was for 1699.00+ tax originally 1999.99+ tax. It is a 15.4" 2.2GhZ i7 Quadcore, 16GB, 256GB SSD (which is unfortunately short of what I wanted but, with the money I saved I will just invest in a 1TB drive.) I also used a 150$ student discount they had going on which brought the total price after taxes to around 1670.00$ Woohoo!

Let's see what this thing can do.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Finally! A Best Buy had the one I was almost looking for "open box" and it was for 1699.00+ tax originally 1999.99+ tax. It is a 15.4" 2.2GhZ i7 Quadcore, 16GB, 256GB SSD (which is unfortunately short of what I wanted but, with the money I saved I will just invest in a 1TB drive.) I also used a 150$ student discount they had going on which brought the total price after taxes to around 1670.00$ Woohoo!

Well done. And you seem seriously happy with your decision.

I think you will find that there are "hidden" advantages to a Mac - at least not immediately apparent.

Your new Mac will last for several years if you keep it up to date - certainly longer than most PCs. And generally hassle-free in respect of viruses, fortnightly updates correcting a flaw with the previous update; and then there's the support.

Phone Apple and you get to speak to a human.

I advise you to go for Apple Care Plus which covers you for three years. Sure, it cost a little more, but troll through our Forums or speak to other Mac users and you'll find that Apple are generally very helpful & receptive to any problems you encounter.

Treat your Mac kindly and it will just carry on working, and to spec, year after year.

Finally, it's just "cool" to have a Mac (although at my age I'm not quite sure what "cool" means, but apparently it's an intangible that young students find has other benefits).

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And if you need to run Windows you will find your mac will actually run it better than it's PC counterpart. I have Windows 10 running on a 2009 Macbook because of one program it run almost exclusively. I use bootcamp for it and have it startup in Windows. It run fast and very well.

I also have to occasionally run Windows on my Mac Pro because of one program. I use Parallels so I can jump between OS X and Windows faster. Both options work well.

You will love the quality of your Macbook Pro. They are just built better and last longer.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
I have VirtualBox loaded on my Mac and run a virtual Windows 10 machine INSIDE of Mac OS X (many use Bootcamp and switch between the "active" OS, I don't) and I use it solely for Visio. Doesn't get much use, but ALWAYS needs updates installed when I boot it, and runs fine even inside of the Mac environment. Best Windows machine I've ever owned. lol

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If your budget is a bit stretched right now you can wait a bit before purchasing the AppleCare warranty extension. If you are going to purchase it, and I recommend you do, make sure you purchase before the one year warranty is up.

OP
K
Reaction score
If your budget is a bit stretched right now you can wait a bit before purchasing the AppleCare warranty extension. If you are going to purchase it, and I recommend you do, make sure you purchase before the one year warranty is up.

If I upgrade the SSD in my machine will that void the warranty anyways? I have been talking back and forth between people and it seems (mainly the kids at best buy) they seem to think that you cannot upgrade the SSD and then other people I talk to have shown me the website to buy a new SSD and upgrade kit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as we know, there is no upgrade path for your MacBook Pro's SSD. Mac Sales (OWC) stocks replacement SSDs (blade type) for earlier model MacBook Pro machines but not yours. They may at some time have a replacement, but for now, you have what you have. (SSD upgrades are for the 2012/2013 Retina Model MacBook Pros only.) LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Lisa. Apparently your info is more up to date than mine is. The last time I looked at Mac Sales their replacement SSDs were for the 2012 - 2013 models only. It pays to keep in touch with that site. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Lisa. Apparently your info is more up to date than mine is. The last time I looked at Mac Sales their replacement SSDs were for the 2012 - 2013 models only. It pays to keep in touch with that site. :)

No problem. I occasionally stumble across good information. :Cool:

I did find OWC's site a bit confusing. The initial selection for SSD's said "Late 2013 - current" which almost made me miss the fact that included 2015 models too. :Smirk:

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I upgrade the SSD in my machine will that void the warranty anyways?

I don't believe so. I had to take one in that I had upgraded to an SSD. The SSD was not involved in the problem. I told them I had replaced the drive with the new SSD and they said nothing. Others may have more information on this though.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My understanding is that replacing the blade type SSDs may in fact void your warranty as they were never intended to be replaced except by Apple. There is conflicting rumors about this though. Best to ask Apple or Mac Sales.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.