Add photos fron iMac to iPad without syncing/deleting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
This is proving sooooo frustrating. I would like to copy some photos (143 to be precise) from a folder on my iMac to an iPad WITHOUT deleting the photos that are already on the pad. To me that is a simple request but Apple perversely seems to think that I want to delete all the existing photos on the iPad as this is what iTunes will do.

Surely there must be a way to achieve this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you have a backup of your iPad, why not try it? I don't believe it will actually delete the pictures, even though iTunes tells you with the prompt. I noticed that when I change some sync setting for my iPad Pro, it does not delete the files if they are still selected to sync.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
My pictures but not my iPad. Don't want to mess with back up etc. Can email them in small batches but that's archaic. Can't understand why Apple make if so difficult - my sister copied the same photos onto her Galaxy tab without issue.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Sawday

I've run an experiment.

I have about 20 photos on my iPad. I was prepared to lose them if needs be.

I exported 10 pictures from Photos to a Folder on my Desktop.

Opened iTunes, clicked on iPad icon, then on Photos in the list, then Sync. Asked to sync the contests of my Desktop Folder, copying all 10 pictures therein to my iPad.

Apply.

All 10 pictures copied to iPad.

All original photos on iPad UNCHANGED.

Hope that might reassure you.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
@Sawday

I've run an experiment.

I have about 20 photos on my iPad. I was prepared to lose them if needs be.

I exported 10 pictures from Photos to a Folder on my Desktop.

Opened iTunes, clicked on iPad icon, then on Photos in the list, then Sync. Asked to sync the contests of my Desktop Folder, copying all 10 pictures therein to my iPad.

Apply.

All 10 pictures copied to iPad.

All original photos on iPad UNCHANGED.

Hope that might reassure you.

Ian

What happens if you delete that folder and then sync again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you saying you don't have a backup of your iPad? The iPad backup only contains the Data on the iPad, not the files on the iPad.

RE: My pictures but not my iPad. Don't want to mess with back up etc.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
What happens if you delete that folder and then sync again?

Good question.

I deleted Desktop Folder of pictures.

Connected iPad to iTunes.

Clicked on photos. **Unchecked Sync Photos**

Small window opened saying:

"iTunes will no longer sync photos to the iPad (myname). Do you want to keep or remove photos previously synced to your iPad?"

I chose "Keep".

Hit Apply. Normal sync. Copied Desktop pictures and original photos all remain.

Disconnected iPad.

Reconnected iPad. Selected Photos to sync. It was like starting all over again. Could choose source etc as before.

Key point is the ** ** above.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To add to above:

This Link from Apple spells it out. On first glance it appears that stopping sync will remove photos - well it will unless (as it says there) you *Uncheck the Sync Photos* and then choose "Keep" or "Remove" according to preference.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201313

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello Sawday - I've abandoned trying to use Apple's photo transfer options in iTunes - there are numerous other better choices. About a year ago, I put a post (check #6) in the iPad Forums that outlined a number of 'wireless' options involving apps or wireless devices for photo transfer - take a look.

But let me just mention several third-party considerations which are shown below, i.e. Photo Transfer & PhotoSync - both require apps on your iDevice and on your computer - try them and see which one you prefer? Good luck and let us know your results. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 11.16.14 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 11.15.16 AM.png

Last edited:
OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does. Thank you.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you saying you don't have a backup of your iPad? [/COLOR]

No I didn't say that. I have a back up of MY ipads on MY iMac. Post wasn't about MY iPad but another person's. They have a back up of THEIR iPad. It just happens to be over 200 miles away (The back up that is, not their iPad)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
@RadDave. That's a great post, Dave. Very useful info.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@RadDave Thanks for the heads up. Have downloaded both of these and look forward to trying them out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
@RadDave Thanks for the heads up. Have downloaded both of these and look forward to trying them out.

No problem at all - you're welcomed! :) Hope that one or both work for you. Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.