system scan is recommended

Reaction score
Do you have the answer to why I started getting this message today on the right hand top of my screen. I know that I had seen the logo but not sure when where. I cannot click the right of my mouse as nothing happens. I can close the message screen or click cancel or start Scan. It does not go away!

I was running the BitDefender Virus Scanner at the time. ( I think that is a safe app to run.

Any advise?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
BitDefender is OK albeit with limited benefits as for the popup here is a related post from Apple Communities; https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6905066?start=0&tstart=0
The link on this page gives detailed steps to take in order to remove MacKeeper if you have it. If you dont, and it is just a phishing attempt then tackling that is a bit more complicated. Often browsers and some search engines have built in anti phishing which is why its a good idea to keep them up to date, some advantage will be gained with Ad Blocker type browser extensions and Firewalls but phishing attempts can also be by email. There is no replacement for a careful and somewhat sceptical attitude to anything that you receive that asks you to do something or provide something private. if you cant verify the identity of the sender or source trash it or ignore it.

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum.

You said:
I cannot click the right of my mouse as nothing happens.
To set what the right click does, open System Preferences/Mouse and set what you want right click to accomplish. You didn't say what kind of mouse, but if it's an Apple Magic Mouse (wireless), then just put a check in the Secondary Click box and it will work as a normal right click.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you for the response. My right click works except for this message that popped up. So I can't find info on what/who is asking me to System Scan. Wanted to at least be able to copy of drag it away from obscuring other messages that pops up in that corner.

I have no done any of the steps to remove, a bit concerned on my abilities. But will do soon.

Welcome to the forum.

You said:To set what the right click does, open System Preferences/Mouse and set what you want right click to accomplish. You didn't say what kind of mouse, but if it's an Apple Magic Mouse (wireless), then just put a check in the Secondary Click box and it will work as a normal right click.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you, the MacDefender app is listed in my applications as being updated two nights ago at 10pm but not by me because I was watching tv and then went to bed. Last night was another matter. I never open emails from strangers as I can see a preview and know it is not for me. Thanks tho for all the advise as it made sense and some I did not know or understand. Phishing was something not yet created in my past years while I knew a lot more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Mackeeper is itself malware so do a search on getting rid of it. Any app, including antivirus, that updates itself beware of as all sorts of 'goodies' can be included. Suggest getting rid of BitDefender. Why? because there are no viruses for OS X, and most here recommend AdBlockPlus and Ghostery to keep these things at bay. Also Malwarebytes for Mac is great at detecting malware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.