Encryption Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
Hello again,

I purchased a 128GB SanDisk USB Drive. There was Encryption Software on the drive which is called EncryptStick; http://www.encryptstick.com
I've never heard of this program before. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Are there any other options out there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When you format the USB for Mac, it will erase that software. Did you buy the USB for the software? The stick is, more probable than not, formatted for Windows.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
Bob,

I bought the drive because it was on sale at BestBuy. The USB Drive had the software on it when I bought it. I copied the folder to my desktop before I formatted the drive for Mac. In the folder on my desktop there was a link in a PDF File that took me to this site: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2399/ [R=301,NE,NC,L]

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Do you need encryption software ?
If not , bin it.
If you do, bin it as well.

If you did not specifically went looking for it, don't install it !!!

If ever you need encryption do some research and select the one that best suits your needs. ( based on your defined criteria )

Cheers ... McBie

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
I understand, thanks. I don't need encryption as much as I'd like to "password protect" the USB Drive. So I guess the next obvious question would be: Is there a way to "password protect" a USB Drive?
This whole idea came about because of a conversation I had with a friend. Long story short .... If you had to evacuate your home, would you know what important documents to grab first?
So I want to scan my documents, place them on a USB drive and password protect it. So just in case of an emergency, all I have to grab is that USB Drive.

Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Mike, just for my understanding ... do you mean a USB hard drive or a USB memory stick ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
McBie,
it's a USB Memory Stick.
Thanks,
Mike

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Mike

I can't say this works for all USB Sticks and Drives; but if you format the Stick/Drive to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and can see it on the Desktop (Finder Preferences), then Right Click and from the Drop Down menu, choose "Encrypt nameofstick/drive". You give it a Password and that's it.

The encryption only applies when you unmount the Stick/Drive. When you attempt to remount it, you must use the PW before it opens.

Would that suit you?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Mike, have a look here.

http://www.ironkey.com/en-US/

I have been using them for years and they are absolutely great.
All problems solved :)

Cheers ... McBie

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
Ian,
Thanks for responding. I'll try that first chance I get. Hopefully it will suit me. I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Mike

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
Mike

I can't say this works for all USB Sticks and Drives; but if you format the Stick/Drive to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and can see it on the Desktop (Finder Preferences), then Right Click and from the Drop Down menu, choose "Encrypt nameofstick/drive". You give it a Password and that's it.

The encryption only applies when you unmount the Stick/Drive. When you attempt to remount it, you must use the PW before it opens.

Would that suit you?

Ian

Ian,

I formatted the flash drive to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled Encrypted) I believe it said. That enabled me to password protect the drive. I guess it's similar to OS X El Capitan: Encrypt removable disks or media. https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21791?locale=en_US

Thanks again,
Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.