Eye flash in photo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
I am putting pictures of my wife's past and present cats on 11 x 14 metal plate from Costco. I only have one 2.3 Meg JPG of this one cat. All the other pics are BMPs of approximately 250K which is too small to fit on an 11 x 14 plate. Unfortunately the cats eyes has a white flash on them. Can that be fixed? And where can i take this picture to get it fixed? Costco doesn't do that.
My expertise on photography is similar to my understanding of calculus and I don't have Photoshop or any program that could do that...as far as i know...and even if i did I would not know how to go about it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
My understanding of photography is about the same as yours, but I remember hearing about this some time back. The white flash is the same as redeye in humans and is more difficult to remove with editing tricks basically because it isn't red. It's caused by the camera flash reflecting off the retina and there isn't a whole lot you can do about it short of getting busy with PhotoShop or the like.

Totally off topic, but since it's where the subject came up, I'll tell you anyway, moose eyes, unlike those of most other animals, don't have this problem because they don't reflect light. That's why they are so dangerous when they stand in the middle of the road at night. You can drive into them without ever seeing them.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Off topic or not, Kevin, I didn't know that about mooses. And you're right - I've never seen one at night. Come to think of it, I can't remember seeing one in daylight. Do you think living in the UK can have anything to do with this?:Mischievous:

@Pete, Kevin's comment about cat eyes is spot on. We've had Siamese cats all our married life. Flash is hopeless and I always contrive to take photos in natural light (Siamese cats have vivid blue eyes).

As you have Yosemite, I guess you have the Photos app. In Photos, red eye correction only appears as an editing option if the app detects red eye (and this will only be with humans in a picture). You can turn this on permanently, however. To do this, you need to open a picture, any picture (that is click on pic and hit spacebar, for example). Then, from the Tool Bar, select View > Always show red-eye control.

Now, open the picture of your cat, then Click "Edit". Red-Eye correction will be one of the options and with it is a slider control allowing you to select the size of the correction circle. Use your Mouse to place the circle over the eye and play around with it. As Kevin says, the results are not great, but who knows, maybe you'll find something to your taste???

PS iPhoto has the same if you're still using that.

Ian

Reaction score

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Randy... you never cease to amaze me. Where do you find all those great apps you recommend? :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks randy. I dragged the RedEyePilotMac.dmg file to my Applications folder, but when opening the dmg file in my Applications folder, then trying to open the Red Eye pilot.app I get this msg: You can't open the application "Red Eye Pilot.app' because PowerPC applications are no longer supported. Am I doing something wrong?
On a side note the moose eyes ws something I did not know. If I encounter any in hawaii I will remember it.
Pete

Reaction score
Thanks randy. I dragged the RedEyePilotMac.dmg file to my Applications folder, but when opening the dmg file in my Applications folder, then trying to open the Red Eye pilot.app I get this msg: You can't open the application "Red Eye Pilot.app' because PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

Sorry, apparently Red Eye Pilot is PowerPC-only and won't work if you have a version of OS X past 10.6.

You can remove red eye with Apple's Photos, but it works semi-automatically and will only work with actual red eye, not white eye:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21323?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Otherwise you will need a photo editor that has a red eye feature. Personally I use:

GraphicConverter ($40)
http://www.lemkesoft.com

But just about any other common photo editor, such as Photoshop Elements, will have a similar feature.

Or, in just about any photo editor, including Photos, you can zoom in on the subject's eyes, use the oval selection tool to select just the pupils, and use the paint bucket to fill in that area with dark grey. Should work nicely.

I'm in the middle of work right now, but I'll post again about this later and I'll see if I can find you a nice, free, easy to use solution. There are several really nice, free photo editors.

Reaction score
Or, in just about any photo editor, including Photos, you can zoom in on the subject's eyes, use the oval selection tool to select just the pupils, and use the paint bucket to fill in that area with dark grey. Should work nicely.

Seashore, is a really nice, free, graphics and image editing program:

Seashore (Free)
http://seashore.sourceforge.net/The_Seashore_Project/About.html
or
http://is.gd/jSvtv

It doesn't have an automated red-eye feature, but as I outlined previously, all that you have to do is zoom in on the subject's pupils, use the oval selection tool to choose just the subject's pupils, and then use the paint bucket to fill in that area with dark grey.

Reaction score
Randy... you never cease to amaze me. Where do you find all those great apps you recommend? :)

Oh, so you want me to divulge my secrets? :cool:

I have a huge database that I've been keeping for 30 years, filled with links to useful software, authoritative articles, and the answers to hundreds of Macintosh questions that I've answered previously.

I originally started my database to have the information that I needed to write articles and books at my fingertips. (I used to be the monthly Macintosh columnist for Computer Currents, for instance. And I used to be a co-author of The Macintosh Bible back when it was a world-wide bestseller. Actually I've been published in just about every Macintosh publication you can thing of.) And I've just keep it up, now simply to answer Mac users' questions when I can.

I'm very active with my user group, so I try to stay on top of topics that are always of great interest. (e.g. what's the best hard drive?, should I use anti-virus software?, should I upgrade my OS?, why is my Macintosh belching flames?, etc.)

Much of the software that I recommend isn't as obscure as it may seem. In certain circles most of it is quite popular and well known.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was hoping to insert the 2.6MB jpg in this post in hopes someone out there with thee correct software could fix this problem for me. Unfortunately the file size is too large for the post and downsizing it would negatively impact the 11 x 14 metal print I want to make. Thanks again for all the help. Pete

Reaction score
I was hoping to insert the 2.6MB jpg in this post in hopes someone out there with thee correct software could fix this problem for me. Unfortunately the file size is too large for the post and downsizing it would negatively impact the 11 x 14 metal print I want to make. Thanks again for all the help. Pete

You're using Yosemite, I see, which means that you have a copy of Photos (it came with Yosemite). Maybe these directions for removing red eye, using Photos, will help you?

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21323?locale=en_US

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb

Have messgaed you.

Reaction score
Thanks randy. I dragged the RedEyePilotMac.dmg file to my Applications folder, but when opening the dmg file in my Applications folder, then trying to open the Red Eye pilot.app I get this msg: You can't open the application "Red Eye Pilot.app' because PowerPC applications are no longer supported. Am I doing something wrong?

Two things: as said above PPC apps wont work on an Intel mac. Also never run apps from a .DMG. Open the DMG in your downloads folder or the Desktop, then drag the app to your Applications folder. This can prevent problems down the road.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all. I emailed the photo to Sue and she will try and fix it for me.

Pete

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sue came through. Thanks again Sue. Problem fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Before and after. I'm no PS expert but like playing around.
casimir.gif

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Handsome cat. What breed is she/he?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Abyssinian Male. Passed on about about 5 years ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.