Music copying issue that a newb can't figure out.

Reaction score
Ok, please go easy on me. I am new to iTunes and digital music.

I have a few songs the I’ve purchased through iTunes along with a chunk of music that I have ripped on my Mac from CDs that I own. I believe they are all MP3 format. It’s just less that 4G of music. I am trying to copy all of it to an 8G memory stick that was formatted for PC that my Mac reads. From there I want to copy it to my of it to my PC at work as I have a headphone/DAC set up at work that will run off of Furbar2000 or so I think.

From what I’ve read/searched is that I can drag and drop to the memory stick, however, nothing will copy. I am trying to figure out if this is a copyright issue, user error/stupidity, iTunes quirk? Selecting one file that I know I ripped (vs bought) will not copy nor with everything as a large single group. I’d also like to have a back-up on the stick. I know 4G is nothing, but I’m just starting to build my collecting and will eventually move to FLAC.

What the **** am I doing wrong? I don’t want re-rip everything at work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You have to make sure the USB stick is formatted as FAT or exFAT. Mac can not write to NTFS without help. Mac and Windows will write, and read too, to/from FAT and exFAT.

Also, you want to work from Finder and not in iTunes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Couple more points. Foobar2000 is not available for Mac. iTunes won't handle FLAC. VLC will though. Not sure what you'd use to rip to FLAC on Mac. I use EAC on Windows.

OP
K
Reaction score
You have to make sure the USB stick is formatted as FAT or exFAT. Mac can not write to NTFS without help. Mac and Windows will write, and read too, to/from FAT and exFAT.

Also, you want to work from Finder and not in iTunes.

Ok, I'll have to check on the stick formatting.

Can't remember what I did with Finder last night. I know I looked for the individual files with finder and don't think I found them, only large iTunes Library files. I was trying from iTunes as I've seen other help tutorials that drag and drop from iTunes without issues.

OP
K
Reaction score
Couple more points. Foobar2000 is not available for Mac. iTunes won't handle FLAC. VLC will though. Not sure what you'd use to rip to FLAC on Mac. I use EAC on Windows.

Yup, I have Foobar on my work non-Mac work PC. Looking at dbpoweramp to rip on PC.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok, I'm a moron. Wifey moved all of the music to an external drive and I didn't realize it. Once I found it, it copied over fine.

Please go about your normal business, nothing to see here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL, thanks for letting us know.... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.