Smartphone Battery Charging & Battery Life

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good read. I agree with the writer of the article that most folks nowadays are going to swap out their iPhone or Android every few years or even every year to get the latest and greatest. Over at MacRumors in the iPhone forum folks there are foaming at the mouth for the iPhone 7 and can hardly wait to order one. Hard to believe isn't it when a simple phone, now a smart phone, costs $900! Apple and Samsung are cashin in! :$

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I got my iPhone 5 used (from the wife). Maybe it was suffering from the battery life shortening due to charging conditions mentioned in the article. I replaced the battery for $15. Been working great since. Of course I'm now doing exactly what the article mentions...charging the phone at night.

The charging station I have has 7 charging ports. Five 1-amp ports...and two 2-amp ports (for tablets). I only use the 1-amp ports for the iPhone. According to the article...using a charger "smaller" than intended for the device is supposed to "slow-down" the ions...which slows down the charge rate...and be better for the battery.

My understanding is...the Apple 5 watt iPhone charger...charges at 1.0 amp. So unless someone purposely sources a 0.5 amp charger for the iPhone. We're kind of stuck with the 1.0 amp charger...and the supposed "bad effects" mentioned in the article.

m003551196_sc7

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I plug mine in at night, but it is on all night with an "Alarm Clock" app, so I can see how often I wake up. Some times I leave iTunes streaming throughout the night too.

I do have a lot of "other" branded power bricks from other phones, I wonder if they charge at slower amp? Somehow I've accumulated 7 of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.