Sidebar option in Photos is greyed out

Reaction score
Hello
Suddenly my sidebar in photos has disappeared and the option to view it is greyed out. I have tried restarting my MacBook Pro but to no avail. Can anyone help fix this? Many thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Give this a read and see if it helps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nice find Sly. I bet he was in edit mode when trying to unhide the sidebar.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'll admit to not being as familiar with Photos as I should be so that's kinda s shot in the Google so to speak.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'll admit to not being as familiar with Photos as I should be so that's kinda s shot in the Google so to speak.

And thanks to google and it's bots to find appropriate posts to answer so many of our questions …

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for this but I'm not in edit mode and I know how to find the Option to show/hide sidebar. The problem is that this option now for some reason is greyed out. It has been fine for years but this loss happened once before and some kind sole worked out what to do - I THINK it was something to do with deleting a Cached file but as I don't know what these are I can't repeat the trick. Any thoughts?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Incidentally, for those using Photos where the Show/Hide Sidebar IS working, but the Show/Hide Split View and Display Thumbnails in Split View are greyed out - these latter two functions only work if you are (a): viewing a photo - NB that is having highlighted the photo and hit the spacebar and (b): in edit mode.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes! That has fixed it. Thank you so much for digging out the discussion/solution. I will copy it to remember for the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.