problem completely wiping my hard drive prior to selling my iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" mp pro 2014 ipad3 iphone4 iMac 2008
hi guys possibly me missing something obvious but when i go into disc utility to wipe my iMac completely. erase is greyed out.never experienced this before.
i am administrator and only user but name of mac is my daughter, does this make a difference? and does she need to de authorise it on app store
this was my first mac, then it was used by my daughter recently returned
any suggestions gratefully received.
iMac 2008

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" mp pro 2014 ipad3 iphone4 iMac 2008
thanks for link, but problem is erase in dis utility is greyed out so wiping drive is not possible

Reaction score
You cant erase the drive while you're booted up and logged in to it. It cant be "in use".
You need to boot into an installer drive or USB stick before you can erase it.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
As said a boot drive cannot erase itself. The usual process is to use an Operating System installer. Here is the process as described by Apple which also includes steps to disconnect from various Apple services which will save you and the new owner a number of problems, View attachment Selling used Mac.docx.zip

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.