• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Backup drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-2004 15"MacBook Pro-'08, 17" MBP-'09
I have a 17" MBP, and have been using a Seagate 2 TB backup (2 partitions), and Timeline auto backup. When I turn on the MBP, I am greeted with a message the while the backup apparently worked, but the disk did not close. This message is for both partitions on the drive. The message lets me close it to remove it from my screen, but I wonder why it does that? This did not happen on my old G4 iMac. Am I doing something wrong?

Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What software are you using to do the backup? What are the two partitions? Are they both backup partitions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Timeline is a Windows software application. What are you using it to back up? Are you using Time Macgine for the OS X partition?

OP
jimgvmi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What software are you using to do the backup? What are the two partitions? Are they both backup partitions?

I am using Mac OS10.6 and the timeline that came with it. I have set the 2 TB drive with one partition for my MBP, and the other partition for my wife's MBP. Neither partition than 200 GB (out of one TB)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Are you using Time Machine? Included with Mac OS X, it is the default backup manager. What OS X version is your wife's MBP using? You are not backing both machines up at the same time are you?

OP
jimgvmi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My MBP is on ElCaptan, and my wife's MBP is running Snow Leopard (10.6.9) Both machines use TimeLine (Mac). Backup on my MBP are daily, per TimeLine. I backup my wife's MBP about every 6 weeks (manually).

Regarding the message: I ignore it and jut close it. I am afraid to eject the disks, as it might wipe them?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe we're missing something here... but TimeLine is backup software for Windows not Mac. If they now have backup software for Mac OS X, there is nothing on their website to indicate that. Are you sure you're running TimeLine for Mac and not the built in Time Machine backup application?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Any chance Jim you are getting mixed up with Time Machine which is included in OS X as a built in backup software option?

OP
jimgvmi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Bad! It IS Time Machine! Sorry....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ejecting the disk should not wipe anything. As long as you do it correctly. I remember when I used external disks with multiple partitions, I would only have to eject one partition and OS X would ask if I wanted to eject them all. So it is very easy and should not cause any issues.

Before you eject the disk, open Disk Utility and run First aid on the two partitions individually. I would also run First Aid on the disk as well, but I am not sure if that will actually help anything with your setup.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My Bad! It IS Time Machine! Sorry....

OK, now we can try to answer your question above.

When I turn on the MBP, I am greeted with a message the while the backup apparently worked, but the disk did not close. This message is for both partitions on the drive. The message lets me close it to remove it from my screen, but I wonder why it does that? This did not happen on my old G4 iMac. Am I doing something wrong?

First, let's not compare this to your G4 iMac since that could not run Time Machine. I recommend not using two partitions for Time Machine but rather dedicate one entire external hard drive for your Time Machine backup per Mac. In other words, two Macs, two external hard drives. It sounds like from your description that your backup may be corrupt which means it might fail when you need it most. It might be a good idea to test your backup to see what happens. Try restoring a text file or two that you can afford to lose if the restore fails. Then post back and we can advise you further how to proceed with Time Machine.

OP
jimgvmi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag & ferrarr

Thanks for your advice. will try to see which works.

Jim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.