Use finder to search files not on computer?

Reaction score
Is it possible to use finder to search for files that exist on the internet rather than my computer (I can do this on a PC)?

For example, I use an internet site that requires I upload a photo. When the site asks me to navigate to find the file, the finder window opens, but I can only search my computer. On my PC, the browser navigation window opens, and allows me to enter an internet path (see screen shot). Can finder search the internet or is there a setting I can use to default to the browser navigation window instead of finder?

finder.png

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
Spotlight search (magnifying glass in title bar) might be a better solution for you. The returned search criteria is also dependent upon the allowed returns in preferences. Give it a try.

OP
E
Reaction score
That's exactly my problem - spotlight search doesn't appear to give me the option to search the internet - just files on my computer. And I don't see how to adjust that setting to include anything other than my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Spotlight search (magnifying glass in title bar) might be a better solution for you. The returned search criteria is also dependent upon the allowed returns in preferences. Give it a try.

That's exactly my problem - spotlight search doesn't appear to give me the option to search the internet - just files on my computer. And I don't see how to adjust that setting to include anything other than my computer.

Spotlight may still be your best choice, although the features will depend on which OS X you have installed? But check in 'System Preferences' and look at the 'Spotlight' settings - shown in the first image below are my settings (on OS X 10.11.6) which includes a web search using Bing - not sure if there is a way to alter to another search engine, such as Google - others may be helpful. In the second image, using Spotlight, I enter 'Helen Keller' and received 'hits' in my Mail & Messages (related to a trip a few years ago to Keller's house in Alabama) but mostly ones on the web - so, check your settings and let us know. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 11.01.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 11.00.56 AM.png

OP
E
Reaction score
I checked, and my spotlight settings do allow for search by Bing, but it doesn't appear to work. As you can see, spotlight still appears to only search "This Mac" or "All My Files". I don't appear to have the ability to include Bing even though it is checked in the settings.

PastedGraphic-1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
On your desktop, open Spotlight from the Menu Bar. Not using a Finder window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
On your desktop, open Spotlight from the Menu Bar. Not using a Finder window.

Agree w/ Bob - the 'Helen Keller' search that I performed was after opening Spotlight (using CMD-Spacebar) on my desktop - looking at the Preferences in Finder, the web does not seem to be a choice (although your iCloud Drive files are searched) - let us know if that helps. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.