re-install OS in Macmini late 2009

Reaction score
my macmini originally came with OS 6.2, but was upgraded to )S 6.8 before I got it. I have OS 6.3 retail disk and need to re-install the OS. Can I do this with OS 6.3? I did disk repair and it said it was OK, but still crashes regularly and is very slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you have the white Snow Leopard (OS X.6) retail dvd, it will install on your Mac Mini. If it is a grey disc, those are usually system specific and it may not be compatible with your Mac Mini system.

OP
G
Reaction score
I have a retail version of OS 6.3 I bought from Apple online, but my macmini was upgraded to OS 6.8 before I got it. I think it came with OS 6.2. It is late 209 model.

OP
G
Reaction score
I do not want to format my macmini; just repair the OS by re-installing OS. Is this possible with different OS#. It is a white disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Reinstallingwon't repair anything. You need to pop the DVD in the superdrive, reboot and hold down 'C' and when it boots, go to Utilities and run RepairDisk and se what is reported. It is the same operating system, just that OS X.6.8 is updated from OS X.6.3.

Let us know how you get on. It is the hard drive that needs repair possi bly, not the operating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reinstallingwon't repair anything.

You didn't mention why you think you need to do the OS X re-install but I tend to agree with Harry's comment here.

- Patrick
======

OP
G
Reaction score
I already ran repair disk by booting from a bootable USB flash drive. It reported repair successful. In the past I have used Disk Warrior when I had problems, but can't boot from the DW upgrade disk created from V.4.4 download. Disk repair helped some with speed, but still crashes frequently, so don't know what options I have. Have re-installed OS in the past with old macs, but this is my first experience with an intel MAC, so wondered if OS re-install might help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW: You can use the latest v. 4.4 DW upgrade version by extracting it from the upgrade image and adding it to your boot volume you use.

I will admit the DW "upgrade" can be a PITA to do and not exactly a normal Mac method. If I recall correctly, I had to continue as if I was going to create and burn a newer DVD and then extracted DW 4.4 from it.

I'm sure complete direction to do so for your version(s) are on thee web that a google search will find. Don't bother with Alsoft's site unless they have finally changed and updated any DW extraction/install method.

BTW: I have not bothered with their latest DW 5.0 version and haven't even checked that I need it, or can afford it.
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11707/diskwarrior

I'm also mainly only using Mavericks 10.9.5.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
G
Reaction score
Apple has now stopped supporting Snow leopard and flash drive no longer works on my browsers, so looks like I need to upgrade the OS. Not sure what would be best for late 2009 mac mini with 4GB ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What Mac OS X versions are available to you, meaning, which versions are associated with your Apple ID? Apple has these available, Lion (10.7) or Mountain Lion (10.8), for sale. Anything that was released after these, has been pulled from the Mac App Store, except for the current version, macOS Sierra (10.12). The other versions of Mac OS X, will be available, only if you previously "got" them through the Mac App Store, and they will show in the Purchased tab. Those versions are Mavericks (10.9), Yosemite (10.10), and El Capitan (10.11).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What I am about to say may or may not be an issue in this case but is worth watching out for. Pay careful attention doing the installation.

The Snow Leopard disc that you have is 10.6.3 while the Mac already has 10.6.8 installed on it. If you try to simply do an installation without formatting the drive, the installer may complain that it cannot do this because the OS on the hard drive is newer (more) recent than the one you are trying to install. I'm pretty sure this happens on major releases but don't remember about the update releases. If that is the case you may be forced to format the drive if you want to continue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would sure help if more details had been given on the problem, and I have no idea what is meant by "and flash drive no longer works on my browsers".

What's the connection???

M

MacInWin

I think the "flash drive no longer works" is really, "Flash no longer works." Not much else makes sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the "flash drive no longer works" is really, "Flash no longer works." Not much else makes sense.

Ahhh soooo… that make sense… And maybe one of those users that uses some of the games sites that insist on having the latest version of Flash installed and I guess maybe OS X 10.6.8 doesn't support that.

OP
G
Reaction score
Ahhh soooo… that make sense… And maybe one of those users that uses some of the games sites that insist on having the latest version of Flash installed and I guess maybe OS X 10.6.8 doesn't support that.

Sorry,,I meant Adobe flash. The sites that did not work after the notice were You tube videos and an app for sending animated e-cards. You tube came back tonight, but the issue is still what to do about apple no longer supporting Snow Leopard. I read that lion and mountain lion will soon be dropped too. Also went to Apple support chat and was told I could link to download of El Capitan at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?mt=12. Have not tried it yet. Wonder if my macmini with 2.26 GHz and 4GB of ram can handle it. It has problems with speed and crashes now, but suspect they may be from other issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
…what to do about apple no longer supporting Snow Leopard…

I guess one would have to ask what you understand about Apple's lack of support, and you could add some other old OS X versions if you wanted.

As for youtube and most other users or sites that used Flash, most have converted over to using html5. Just do some google web searching and check your settings.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The Mac Mini will have to be an early 2009 model or later to support El Capitan. See here for a list of supported hardware. Although it will run with 4 GB of ram more is helpful (especially if you routinely have several apps open at once).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wonder if my macmini with 2.26 GHz and 4GB of ram can handle it. It has problems with speed and crashes now, but suspect they may be from other issues

Either the early or late 2009 Mac mini can support and run up to OS X 10.11.x.
For full specs check here an pick your particular model:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/index-macmini.html

And/or look for other possible alternatives for any problems you're having.

Having the "latest & greatest" doesn't seem to fix a lot of user things and problems for a lot of users from what I read, just at this site alone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.