Time Machine Alert

Reaction score
There's probably a simple fix for this but I can't find it. I have Time Machine enabled to a Seagate 1TB Portable SSD Drive. Every time Time Machine turns on the backup drive I hear a sound like a ping alert. I went into sounds and turned the Alert Volume all the way to the left. I still hear the sound. Is there a setting that I can stop hearing the sound of the backup starting without turning other sounds down like watching YouTube videos?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hmmm…??? I didn't know one could even enable Time Machine too issue any alert sound, nor can I find any such reference with a google search.

Maybe some other app or utility you're running causing the problem…???

- Patrick
======

OP
ProTruckDriver
Reaction score
I couldn't find it in Google search either. It's Time Machine making the beep because I have the Portable SSD Drive on my desk where I can see it. The indicator light on the SSD when it lights up (Time Machine Backing Up) I get the beep. I don't believe it's the Seagate Portable drive making the beep because I used it before on my PC for backup and never heard anything. I've been using Time Machine for the last few months with this SSD and this beep started the last few weeks. Maybe I changed a setting somewhere, don't know, new to the Mac Machine and the beep is driving me nuts. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
I'm running out of search terms. I can't find anything to suggest that the thing is capable of making a sound.

Since truckers are very good at pinning down the source of annoying noises, I'm not going to suggest that the sound is coming from elsewhere.

Still looking…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm gonna suggest looking through the Notifications Preference Pane for something that might be playing a Notification sound for some notification and that could be associated with Time Machine.

Maybe even some Seagate utility that might have come with the drive???

BTW: What Mac Model and OS X version are you running if it's not what you have listed.??

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll also add the next time it happens, open Console and see what it says after you hear the alert tone. Selecting any associated message and clicking the "i" will or should give some indication of what caused the action.

The only TM option I know of that could give any notification is the option:
Notify after old backups are deleted
Be notified if your backup disk is full and Time Machine deletes old backups to create space for new ones.

But that I believe is after the fact, not when the drive is connected.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I couldn't find it in Google search either. It's Time Machine making the beep because I have the Portable SSD Drive on my desk where I can see it. The indicator light on the SSD when it lights up (Time Machine Backing Up) I get the beep. I don't believe it's the Seagate Portable drive making the beep because I used it before on my PC for backup and never heard anything. I've been using Time Machine for the last few months with this SSD and this beep started the last few weeks. Maybe I changed a setting somewhere, don't know, new to the Mac Machine and the beep is driving me nuts. LOL

Here are some ideas:

Do you have another external hard drive that you can try with Time Machine to see if it makes the same beep sound? Also... make sure there are no other apps running at the same time. Check your start up apps to make sure. And lastly, boot the machine to safe mode, run Time Machine and check to see if the same beep occurs.

OP
ProTruckDriver
Reaction score
Did all the suggestions with the exception of trying another external hard drive. My son will be bringing over a empty external HD sometime next week when he visits us. I'll give that a shot and see if it works. I'll let you know if it does. :)

OP
ProTruckDriver
Reaction score
Sorry for not posting, I've been very busy. Switched external HD's no alert. The alert is coming from the external Seagate HD. Why it does it, I have no idea. But that's where we found out where it's coming from. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ask Seagate. Their drives are currently bottom of the pile imho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The alert is coming from the external Seagate HD.

I can't believe that the Seagate HD is actually creating and broadcasting any such sound. There's noting in the drive or enclosure to do so AFAIK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.