iTunes on iPhone 6s - 2 questions

Reaction score
Hi,

Couple questions...

I recently switched from iPhone 5s to 6s and all my music transferred over into iTunes on my phone. I noticed yesterday though when I was hiking that the music kept stopping, finally I realized it was due to being out of cell range. Did iTunes change and now it uses data when you are playing your own music?? That doesn't seem right to me. I know they have this whole new music subscription thing which I know nothing about. These are all songs I loaded myself or bought from the iTunes store a long time ago

2nd question...

My new iPhone won't sync with my MBP. I got an error message something along the lines of "you need the newest version of iTunes to work with this phone, go to itunes.com and download". So I did that, and I am still seeing the same error message when connecting. Any ideas? I am running an older Mac OS (Lion I think?). I havent wanted to upgrade due to all the issues i keep hearing about with compatibility with Photoshop CS6. Anyway, I updated the iTunes and it downloaded (took abouit 30 mins), but still seeing the error. Is it due to the OS?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
I'll recommend trying something that I have switched off on my phone. Turn on Wifi Assist. You'll find it in Settings/Cellular/Wifi Assist right at the bottom. As to why you need data to play music already on the phone, I have no idea. Maybe turn cellular data and wifi off and check to see if you can play music without them. I'm pretty sure my phone does just that.

I don't think Lion runs the latest version of iTunes. The latest version is 12.4.3.1 and you can find that in the iTunes menu under iTunes/About.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Kevin on both answers. Your 6s should be able to run through your playlists without cell data or WiFi. And your version of OS X is way out of date which is why you can not install the latest version of iTunes. And since you did not provide us with any information regarding your MBP (year and model) we don't know which version of OS X you can update to.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Shwaa Are you sure that the phone is not attempting to play a version of the song that is in the cloud. See here

OP
S
Reaction score
@Shwaa Are you sure that the phone is not attempting to play a version of the song that is in the cloud. See here

Actually I think that's exactly what it's doing. All my songs "transferred" to my new phone, but I think I need to go through and actually manually download each song/playlist on my phone directly. I think that may be the issue.

As far as operating system goes. I get alerts to download OsX El Capitan for free, but I haven't done so as of yet. I am not 100% sure it is compatible with PhotoShop CS6, and I use that all the time so i am very leery of just switching.

thanks guys

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as operating system goes. I get alerts to download OsX El Capitan for free, but I haven't done so as of yet. I am not 100% sure it is compatible with PhotoShop CS6, and I use that all the time so i am very leery of just switching.

El Capitan is compatible with CS6 as we have members running both. Also, to be sure... make a bootable backup of your Lion installation before downloading and installing El Capitan. And one more thing... make sure you have enough memory and hard disk space. El Capitan runs nicely with 8 GB of memory although Apple states you can run it with less.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Under the "My Music" tab music on your phone tracks will have a little iPhone icon at the right hand end with a "tick" in the icon which indicates that track is stored on the phone. If not then it needs to be downloaded from iTunes. Check your settings in Music on your iPhone. If iTunes Music Library is on then you will be able to see all of the music on your laptop (this is the best way to have it) but each track will need to be added to the phone.
To do this open an album in My Music, select a track, tap the three little dots at the right end and a details window will open. Next to the album picture you should see a little cloud icon with a down arrow, tap this and the album/track will be added to the phone via WiFi.
I think that until you sort your OS issue this is the only way.
Once you can connect to iTunes via USB again you could turn off all of the iCloud music services and manage your music manually.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.