Files: Desktop.ini and Thumbs.ini

Reaction score
A few months ago on My new 27" Mac I transferred Documents and Pictures from my Win 7 Computer by using a clean USB Stick. I'm also running Microsoft Office on the Mac. All documents and pictures transferred but I found one problem. Nearly every folder in my documents has a file "Black Box" with the letters in green "exec" and named "Desktop.ini". In the pictured folders , the same Black Box and named "Thumbs.db". I transferred hundreds of Documents and Pictures to the Mac, now I have about 100 of these black boxes.
1. What the heck are they?
2.Do I need them?
3. If I don't need them, how can I delete them? (and I hope it's not one by one, lol).

Edit: Title to read Files: Desktop.ini and Thumbs.db

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can safely delete all desktop.ini and thumbs.db files as they are only needed in a Windows environment. You may run into a permissions problem deleting them, however. If you do, post back and we can figure something out to get rid of them.

OP
ProTruckDriver
Reaction score
Thank you chscag for the reply. I just deleted some in the Documents Folder and Pictures Folder. Didn't need permission to delete. Looks like I'll be busy for a few hours deleting these folders. Again, Thank you. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
You might be able to find an Automator workflow that will find all the files and zap them. Such a workflow would need careful handling though.

OP
ProTruckDriver
Reaction score
Thanks for the input KevinJS. It's going along faster then I thought it would deleting these files. I'm about a quarter of the way done now. I'll get the rest tomorrow, it's been a long day for me today. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.