iMessages

Reaction score
Not sure if I'm in the right forum or not, but hoping someone can direct me to the best way to download iMessages into a Word or txt document. Or something that makes it easier to read.

I have backed up the phone to the computer - is there a way to retrieve them that way?

Thanks!

Melanie

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Melanie

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

I use an app called PhoneView. It copies all sorts of things from your iPhone to your Mac and from the Mac to the iPhone. In particular, it copies all messages (SMS or iMessages), converts them to a PDF, and puts them on your Mac. Easy to read and easy to follow a conversation.

But it is not cheap. However they offer a free trial. Can be found here: http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/

Another app that many on these forums use is iExplorer. Again pay-for. This has all the facilities I mentioned above. Found here: https://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

Of course, you would much prefer a cost-free option, I'm sure. But off-hand, I can't think of a way to do this. Others may have better ideas. In the meantime, I'll do some research.

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Melanie

I use an app called PhoneView. It copies all sorts of things from your iPhone to your Mac and from the Mac to the iPhone. In particular, it copies all messages (SMS or iMessages), converts them to a PDF, and puts them on your Mac. Easy to read and easy to follow a conversation.

But it is not cheap. However they offer a free trial. Can be found here: http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/

Another app that many on these forums use is iExplorer. Again pay-for. This has all the facilities I mentioned above. Found here: https://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

Of course, you would much prefer a cost-free option, I'm sure. But off-hand, I can't think of a way to do this. Others may have better ideas. In the meantime, I'll do some research.

Ian

Thank you Ian! I will look at both of those. Would love feedback from anyone who has used them that has a preference.

I'm sure they both do more than I need, but I'm willing to purchase. :)

Thank you!

Reaction score
Hi Melanie

Ian

interesting! I need to try! Thanks! ;D

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you!

interesting! I need to try! Thanks! ;D

To Ian and Edvard...I tried both of them last night. PhoneView is nice, but without the pay version it only showed 10 of the messages.

Then I tried iExplorer. The demo version allows me to see ALL the messgaes. I can't export without the paid version, but that's okay. I wanted to be able to view the messages to determine if I wanted to just be able to read them on a larger screen or if I wanted to save/print them. I am unsure what the cost of IExplorer is, but will investigate that this evening if I get a chance. PhoneView is $30.

Thank you for all your help Ian! These are exactly what I was looking for!

Melanie

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
FYI Melanie, the iExplorer website gives $39.99 as the basic cost; more for family license..

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
FYI Melanie, the iExplorer website gives $39.99 as the basic cost; more for family license..

Ian

Well then...I might just have to investigate PhoneView a little more. $10 is $10. Appreciate the info!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
I'm assuming the difficulty in reading is due to the size of the text in the app?

A workaround here is to use the Messages app on the Mac. From the View menu or by pressing Command/+ repeatedly, you can increase the size of the text.

You can also increase the size of the text in iOS versions:

Go to Settings/General/Accessibility

Turn on "Larger Accessibility Sizes" and drag the slider until the text is the size you want it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple 12-inch MacBook Retina
iMessage to a word or text format

Hi Melanie,

I hope you have found the solution by now, if not, let me state one more possible solution here.

Go to imessage app and your desired conversation > long tap on any message until an option pop up appears (with commands copy & more) > tap on more (a multiple selection round boxes will appear), select the messages you want to convert to text > tap the forward button (on the bottom right of your screen) > select email option from the menu to send the conversation to your email address as attached text file (which you can copy paste to MS word). But to Note here, it won't save date & time of the messages.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.