• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

importing video to iMovie 11

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm using iMovie 11 for a long time and I have a camcorder Sony Handycam HDR-CX160. When I'm importing video from my Sony to iMovie, I have to optimize it. And that's my main question. I found lot of discussions about it, but it didn't help.

when I choose "FULL ORIGINAL SIZE", the file is huge - but I can export it after that as a 1080 hd video
when I choose "Large - 960x540", the file is radically smaller then previous "Full" option - but when i want to export my project, there is only 720p option
Anyway I use this second option with only 720 hd result for two years or more now.

But nowdays I really want to be able to export it in 1080.

I realized, that when I plug my camera into my mac I can import my video also with Quicktime Player. File size of (for example) 45 minute video is about 4 GB. After that in iMovie i don't have to optimize it when I want to import it. And exported project could be 1080p

But when I'm importing the same video with iMovie - Large 960x540 optimze. The file size is about 13 GB, and when i want to export it - it's just a 720p video. WHY?????

I really like iMovie 11, and I want to keep using it. But I thought, that there is no other way to import my videos than iMovie. This Quicktime player option is completely new to me.
I'd love to optimize it with Large 960x540 option, and then have the 1080p export option possible.

Please help. What is the best way to import it?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Hi, and welcome.

When you import any sort of media, you want to ensure that you do so with the highest quality you are able to that WON'T be beyond your needs. When you import something at roughly 720p resolution, you can export it again at or below the same 720p. Period. This is true even with what you -think- you're doing with QuickTime. It's impossible to export something to a higher quality than the original. So, even though the media might be "coded" as 1080p, the ACTUAL quality of what is being shown is still 720p.

Your findings apply only to how the media is LABELED, not to the actual quality of the media itself.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hello, thanks for reply.
But my camcorder is se to 1080, so I reallly shoot videos in 1080p. My problem is, thah when I optimize it in iMovie using "LARGE - 960x540" option, then it's bigger then original file, and in final it's not even in 1080p. Just 720. When I choose optimize video with "FULL - original size" option then it is in 1080p. But the file is extremely big - one hour of video has something about 50GB. And that's really much for my disk space. Whith quick time import same video is about 4GB, and the in iMovie I can export it in 1080p. But it's not optimized it to an AIC format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you visually compared the image quality of the two different files to ensure that it truly IS the high resolution you believe it is? It's entirely probable that the optimization from QuickTime is not actually the same quality as the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Almost the same isn't the same. So, there's a difference. I would agree with you that the significant difference in file size seems excessive, but iMovie is apparently capturing data that QuickTime is not. And, regardless of what QT -says- your content resolution is when exported, it isn't exactly the same as what you get from iMovie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
iMovie imports video without compressing it, hence the large file sizes. 50Gb for 1 hour of HD video is about right. It sounds like Quicktime is compressing your video. In QT, go Window Menu>Show Movie Inspector. Have a look at the Format entry and check for h.264. That will confirm any compression.

You really should use an external drive for your imported video. It will save wear and tear on your Mac's drive due to the the constant read/write action when editing a Project in iMovie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.