Wacky question - how to get Preview to open on screen where you'd like?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
This is, like, totally a minor thing. Basically, when I get sent photos on FB, I download them to my Mac though Safari. Safari lets Preview open those pictures. When that happens, Preview opens up on the left side of the screen. Obviously, it's trivial to move it to the center to view it, but, I wonder if there's a way to set things so that Preview always opens photos in the center of the screen, rather than on the left side. I find it annoying as only a stickler can!

I should note, when I use Preview to view PDFs, it also always open to the left side. Why? And how to make it behave differently?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Opening in the top left corner allows you to push or pull the bottom right corner to resize the widow to maximum size in one movement. If the window were in the middle to achieve the same result you would need first to drag the window to the upper left corner then drag the lower right corner to resize. This is two movements compared to one action to centre or make full screen so very logical in my mind so the answer to your question is no but there are third party apps that will allow you to do this such as Divvy.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
Thanks for the answer! That explains the why. I'm not incensed enough to get a third-party anything to do it, though, so, there it is. I was just hoping there was some native way to handle it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think it is possible to set a new location with an AppleScript that opens a window and moves it to a new location. Essentially you drop the document on this script and it opens the document and moves it to a specified location.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it is possible to set a new location with an AppleScript that opens a window and moves it to a new location. Essentially you drop the document on this script and it opens the document and moves it to a specified location.

That could be a way, though again, I'd have to actual do something about it, which probably isn't going to happen (and learn how to use AppleScript too). But thanks. Maybe, one day, I'll get off my duff and give it a go!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I found some info this morning that almost had this working. I know which line of AppleScript would tell us the coordinates for the window. I think I know how to tell Preview where to put the window but the problem is getting the file to open when I drop it on the script. I should be able to get it to work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.