Done with Windows

Reaction score
Hello Mac enthusiasts.

I am finished with windows machines for good and want to come over to the light. I would like a new Mac but I am poor so I must go the previously owned route. I am thoroughly confused by the numerous used machines available as well as the various platforms and OS's from the past 10 years or so. I have no idea what is good in my price range or what may be too slow and clunky because of it's age.

I have a $400.00 budget but don't want to spend it all if I don't have to. I only require web browsing, iTunes, iPod management, and a word processing program. The machine will not be used for gaming.

I welcome your comments and look forward to turning over a new leaf..... from the Apple tree.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Best bang for your buck is likely to be the Mac Mini. Starting at $500 new, you should be able to turn one up inside your budget without having to settle for something that is so ancient that it is unusable.

The Mac Mini is a box, that requires you to supply a display, keyboard, trackpad/mouse and optical drive (assuming you want to use one). If you already have those components available from your PC, you can save some money. If not, peripherals alone are going to dig deep into your budget.

Almost every problem I've come across regarding iTunes has been caused by a user being stuck with older operating systems and software versions, but if you can locate a Mini that will play nicely with whatever version of iOS your iPod is running, you shouldn't have any problems.

Pages (a word processor) comes free with new Macs and even if you end up with a machine that doesn't qualify for a free copy, it only costs $20.

There are huge numbers of gently used computers available. Here's one I found in a matter of seconds on eBay that's well inside your budget.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-M...205080?hash=item2cafcfff18:g:S2kAAOSwSv1XkPEE

Just remember when buying used; it's easier to buy than it is to sell. Don't fall in love with the idea of a specific machine. The vendor is much more keen to sell than you are to buy.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation Kevin, there certainly are plenty of Mini choices on th' bay. I will certainly consider it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
When you are looking at Mac specs avoid systems that have PowerPC processors. The newer the version of OS X the better (current version is 10.11.6)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a $400.00 budget but don't want to spend it all if I don't have to. I only require web browsing, iTunes, iPod management, and a word processing program. The machine will not be used for gaming.

If you're looking for something portable…I would get a 2011 13" MacBook Pro. This is the very computer I'm using right now to type this. You should be able to find one for $400 or less. It's upgradeable to 16gig of ram…can run the latest OS…and still has a built in optical drive if you have a need for that.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Libre Office is a free program that's compatible with Word and Excel.

Reaction score
I would go for a MacBook as suggested by Nick (pigoo3) 16gig ram starts around $55 at BB and you can replace the HHD for a SSD which is approx 20 X faster than the rotating drives. El Cap booted up to desktop in 53 seconds and with an SSD it does it in about 13 seconds, you can get a new SSD from $40, a 120GB to your hearts desire up to 2TB's which is $$$$$, prices will drop in the future like all electronics.

I wouldn't worry about battery time on a used MacBook, you can get a new aftermarket battery fairly cheap. I get over 9hrs on my new MBP and the newer batteries now advertised that they will last longer depending on the settings. GL on you search which is always fun and a headache;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro5.1,Dual2.4GHzXeon,10.13.6,4x6TB HD,128GB Mem,Dual 32" monitors
One more thing about Mac, if you decide to go new the 3 year protection plan is worth it's weight in gold with the telephone support and parts and service replacement if needed.

Reaction score
I have never trusted "Refurb" anything, it is my experience that when a buyer returns a item because of a problem the technician sometimes cannot duplicate the problem and gives the product a green light; then it is purchased by the new buyer and the problem still exists.

I have also experienced that a buyer returns an item and makes up a problem to just get the return over with and doesn't want to go through the sales rep trying to talk the person into buy something else, meanwhile it gets sent to the tech and they cannot duplicate the problem because there wasn't one in the first place because the person that returned the item just wanted his/her money back.
I have only purchased one thing that was listed as a refurb and that was a Nikon D series camera, it turned out to be an excellent product and I have never had a problem with.

Reaction score
One more thing about Mac, if you decide to go new the 3 year protection plan is worth it's weight in gold with the telephone support and parts and service replacement if needed.

I have never bought a protection plan for any electronic item, I have been lucky and have never received a defected item.

M

MacInWin

I have never trusted "Refurb" anything, it is my experience that when a buyer returns a item because of a problem the technician sometimes cannot duplicate the problem and gives the product a green light; then it is purchased by the new buyer and the problem still exists.

I have also experienced that a buyer returns an item and makes up a problem to just get the return over with and doesn't want to go through the sales rep trying to talk the person into buy something else, meanwhile it gets sent to the tech and they cannot duplicate the problem because there wasn't one in the first place because the person that returned the item just wanted his/her money back.
I have only purchased one thing that was listed as a refurb and that was a Nikon D series camera, it turned out to be an excellent product and I have never had a problem with.

Refurbs from Apple come with a full Apple warranty, same as a brand new machine. I have had several, and all have worked very well. So in the Apple arena, refurbs are a pretty reasonable way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011), iPad Air (late '13), iPhone 5
Refurbs from Apple come with a full Apple warranty, same as a brand new machine. I have had several, and all have worked very well. So in the Apple arena, refurbs are a pretty reasonable way to go.

I buy refurbed from Apple whenever I can, and always get the Apple Care. Agree with CarlHataway that these are worth their weight in gold. ;)

I've only recently discovered OWC, and my buying (an accessory) experience with them was very good. It's nice to hear they also have a refurb section with an apparently good reputation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro5.1,Dual2.4GHzXeon,10.13.6,4x6TB HD,128GB Mem,Dual 32" monitors
I have never bought a protection plan for any electronic item, I have been lucky and have never received a defected item.
Okay, let's look at what the 3 yr. protection plan that Apple offers, if you have never owned a Mac and have always been a windows user the change over to a Mac is pretty intimidating, the Apple 3 year Protection Plan gives the owner unlimited phone support from a Apple tech who is in the USA and will solve your issue from 0800-2200 seven days a week. When I got my Mac Pro I had a issue with the ATI Radeon HD5870 video card and a tech came to my home and replaced the card with no cost to me. I agree with your statement that most extended warranties are a waste of money but this is worth much more that you'll pay for it. Good Luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.