Titanium Software's "OnyX"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Retina 12 inch (early 2015), 1.1 GHz Intel M,8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Any input pro/con re: this company's freeware for system maintenance called OnyX

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We've been recommending Onyx to members for many years.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Onyx is routinely recommended by many users on this forum. I've been using it for quite some time though I tend to only use it if I am having issues. It's important to pay attention to the warnings and messages. It gives you a pretty good warning about what it is going to do and what the consequences might be. Also, make sure you are using the correct version for your OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
+1 for Onyx.

Cheers ... McBie

M

MacInWin

+1 for OnyX. Get it from the developer at titanium.free.fr, and nowhere else. Make sure you get the right version for your version of OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
+1 for Onyx also. As others have said, make sure you get the specific version for your OS X version.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Retina 12 inch (early 2015), 1.1 GHz Intel M,8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Thx 2 all responds 2 my query. I had good luck w/ this product on my old G4 PB. Am glad that Titanium has continued to support new mac products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Good morning all, especially Slydude, MacInWin and Pigoo. I am slowly learning to live with my leaky heart valve but suffer a shortage of breath and extra dizziness. That said I have a question to pose to anyone who can answer it:- If Onyx is so clearly recommended why does Apple not support it in their "App Store"? I have downloaded it, (do I really need it?) and when trying to install I am told I cannot install it because of Apple Security reasons!! Again I ask:- "Do I really need it"? Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

So you failed to prepare, now be prepared to fail.

M

MacInWin

Basically, OnyX is a "wrapper" that puts a graphic interface on a lot of utilities that you COULD run yourself from the command line. But OnyX also adds in the best default settings for 99% of users, so that you don't have to learn those utilities and the arcane settings. I can't speak to why OnyX isn't offered through the MAS, but the fact that it's free from titanium.free.fr is great. The reason you cannot run it is simple, Gatekeeper is set to block ALL applications from any source other than the MAS, or from registered developers. To run OnyX, right click on it and select "Open" when prompted. One time is all you need to do that. OS X will then register that OnyX is acceptable and not ask you again.

"Do I really need it?" That's up to you. It does clean up the system nicely and safely if you leave the defaults as they come, you can avoid learning the utilities and the arcane settings and it works well. And it's free. For me, I "need" it in the sense that I run it every few months to tidy up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Jake, Thank you for your reply but try as I might I cannot get Gatekeeper to authorise OnyX! I have not got a clue as to why but it has baffled me completely ( not difficult really!!). Do not know how to find Gatekeeper even if I thought I would need to. I right click on OnyX 3.1.7 then click open, enter my password, click enter and then all I get is the infamous warning that Gate keeper is blocking all stuff not from Apple.It would appear my little Apple Mini does not like anything other than Apple software!! Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

M

MacInWin

Keith, try this:

Open System Preferences, select Security & Privacy. Now click on the lock icon on the bottom left corner of that window and enter your admin password to unlock. Once unlocked, click on the "Anywhere" button under "Allow apps downloaded from." Leave that window open and go to where OnyX installer is downloaded and run it. It should now run and install OnyX just fine. Once OnyX is installed, go back to the Security & Privacy window and click the middle option, "Mac App Store and identified developers," and then exit from System Preferences. Each time you run OnyX it will again ask for your administrator's password because it needs that authority to do it's thing.

Hope that helps, Keith.

BTW, I was up in Wirksworth in the spring. Loved the country around there!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Jake, You are an absolute star!! It worked a treat thank you very much indeed. Wirksworth is a wonderful Derbyshire town and I hope you managed to get to Matlock and Matlock Bath? Two towns joined together by continued development over the centuries. Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

M

MacInWin

Glad that worked, Keith.

Not Matlock, but Chatsworth house and Bakewell. Also drove over to Stoke-on-Trent to do some shopping. We definitely want to come back!

Reaction score
Hi MacInWin - hope i can solve this here -
I have downloaded onyx and after doing a clean I get this message ' Disc Image containing Restart.app could not be ejected - remove item to trash manually '
I have looked all over for 'Restart.app' without success.

Please let me know where I may locate it.

My OSX is 10.9.5 and
I have downloaded Onyx 10.9 mavericks (I hope its the correct one).
Thanks
Hazoss

Update - I think I found the problem - I discovered an old onyx dmg from 2014 - moved it to trash
Onyx now shows on Application folder but always asks for password, then licence agreement etc - not sure if this is standard protocol.
I thought one agrees to licence just once.
After this I assume I execute each clean up operation manually.

Will monitor performance before next backup.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Onyx never asks for license information .... what version of Onyx do you have and where did you got it from ?

Cheers ... McBie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This (below)...or something like it...is probably what's being seen. I get this as well.

@Hazoss. De-select the "Display At Launch" check-box in the lower left hand corner of this message if you don't want to see it each time Onyx is launched.

Screen Shot 2016-11-26 at 5.51.32 AM.png

- Nick

Reaction score
Hello McBie I downloaded it here
http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

And this version
OnyX 2.8.8 for OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Download (16.5 MB)
Requirements: Mac Intel computer running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks).
SHA-1 digest: 45faa098cd7d4cf23e4ca70910c8bd1f71e28ef6

Reaction score
Thanks Pigoo3

Yes that is the ageement that repeats.
I did not understand 'display at launch' - will revisit that screen.

Update - unticked that and relaunced - still asks for password tho
Maybe restart would help but in the middle of backup at the moment.

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Onyx Asking for the password is normal. It's a security measure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.