Help! I've just downloaded a virus or trojan. What do i do?

Reaction score
I downloaded a font file. Then when it wouldnt "install the font", I realized it might be malware. I immediately sent it to trash but when i try to empty the trash a window pops up that says "The operation can't be completed because the item FindetNemo.ttf is in use. The choices are skip, stop or continue". I've tried all three and cant get this file off. I've closed all programs, turned off the wifi & signed out of icloud drive so hopefully the virus can't see everything, which required deleting all contacts, calendars, etc. from my mac (bummer).

What do I do at this point? Is this a virus or trojan. Ive opened up my Activities Monitor and my computer seems to be very idele at this moment. System 0.21%, user 0.41%, idle 99.4%

This is a mac book pro using El Capitan 10.11.5

Thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You may not have downloaded malware at all. I've had something like this happen once in a while even with data files I know are clean because I created them. I think what has happened is that the program which was processing the file did not "release" it properly when the installation failed. Normally, quiting the open program, rather than just closing the open window, does the trick but sometimes more action is needed; Try the following:

1. Log completely out of your Mac not just out of iCloud drive. Sometimes I restart the computer instead if it has been a long time since I've done so.
2. Now, when you log back into your Mac, try to delete the file. That should cure things.

If the file deletes but you are still concerned about malware, download and run Malwarebytes for Mac

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply/words of assurance. I did shut down completely and tried to empty the trash again. I got the same message. UGH! But i tried once more by control clicking. I had not seen the "Delete Immediately" choice before and that worked. Now, to put everything back together again. Thank you!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome. I never think to tell people about the delete immediately option. I always forget the key command for using it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Just possibly for others reading this thread:

if you get the message "the item cannot be deleted because it is in use" or similar — highlight the item(s) in Trash; then Option + Cmd + Delete (backspace key) opens a little box or window saying "are you sure you want to delete?" with "Cancel" or "Yes" as options. Click "Yes".

This almost invariably works.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.