Wierd Security Threat Alert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini,Ver.10.14.6, 3.6 GHz Intel Core i3, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
I tried opening PyramidSsolitare.com and received an alert including constant beeping stating that my Apple computer has been blocked because of a virus or malware and I should enter my User ID and Password which I didn't. They also had a phone number to call which I ignored. I couldn't get rid of it and I couldn't close it. I Force Quit Firefox and reopened it and it was still there if I tried opening any website. I then shut down my computer. When I rebooted my computer Firefox flashed on my screen asking me if I want to go back to the previous page and open up 2 files listed. I unchecked the files and opened Firefox. Everything appears to be working OK now. Do you think my computer has been compromised?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
No. This sounds like a browser hijack. In essence, it's a fake page designed to get you to give away personal information. As long as you didn't enter any personal information or call the phone number you're probably OK.

You might want to download and run Malwarebytes for Mac.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini,Ver.10.14.6, 3.6 GHz Intel Core i3, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
I downloaded Malwarebytes for Mac and it found one file which I deleted. Would it be a good idea to run this program every so often?

Thanks for your help.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded Malwarebytes for Mac and it found one file which I deleted. Would it be a good idea to run this program every so often?

Thanks for your help.
You're welcome. Glad that helped.

It won't hurt to run Malwarebytes for Mac periodically. I have it on my machine but tend to run it only if I experience something similar to what you experienced.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Malwarebytes is an excellent product and I encourage everyone to make a small donation to the developers. Having run the app you may not have any further problems however it is likely that the site you visited (PyramidSsolitare.com) is the source of the problem. This may not be their fault but small sites with less than perfect security often fall victim to these scammers attaching a piece of malicious code to their page which takes you to another page.
As always never give any private information to these types of services and use a disposable email address for subscription/registration if required.
Additionally you may need to clear your browser history, cookies and cache.

M

MacInWin

Ghostery will help block that kind of hijacker. I have it, use it, and just turn EVERYTHING on to be blocked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 10.11.6, also ipad
malware attack.

I tried opening PyramidSsolitare.com and received an alert including constant beeping stating that my Apple computer has been blocked because of a virus or malware and I should enter my User ID and Password which I didn't. They also had a phone number to call which I ignored. I couldn't get rid of it and I couldn't close it. I Force Quit Firefox and reopened it and it was still there if I tried opening any website. I then shut down my computer. When I rebooted my computer Firefox flashed on my screen asking me if I want to go back to the previous page and open up 2 files listed. I unchecked the files and opened Firefox. Everything appears to be working OK now. Do you think my computer has been compromised?

I'm in exactly the same situation and have switched browsers to avoid getting that warning. I did give up some of my personal info but
have cancelled payment. What should I do to get my computer back to normal. I am not an expert which is why I was fooled! The warning is the most obnoxious thing I've ever heard plus I'm getting lots of invites to clean out my mac, etc.
What's best to do now?

Thanks.

M

MacInWin

1. Change all of your passwords, everywhere. If they got even ONE password from you, you are at risk.
2. If you gave a credit card number, call the card issuer and cancel the card, or have them issue a new one, immediately.
3. If you gave bank information, call the bank tomorrow and let them know so that they can tell you what you need to do.

As for the more trivial stuff, get ghostery and AdBlock+ and install them on all of your browsers. Get and run Malwarebytes from malwarebytes.com and run it to clean out any of the junk you may have picked up along the way.

Never, ever, ever, give out personal information to someone who solicits it unless YOU contacted THEM and expected them to ask for it because you know who they are. Popup requests are 99.9% bogus.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm in exactly the same situation and have switched browsers to avoid getting that warning. I did give up some of my personal info but
have cancelled payment. What should I do to get my computer back to normal. I am not an expert which is why I was fooled! The warning is the most obnoxious thing I've ever heard plus I'm getting lots of invites to clean out my mac, etc.
What's best to do now?

Thanks.
1. If you haven't done so download, install, and run Malwarebytes for Mac.
2. Disconnect your computer from the Internet (wi-fi off, ethernet unplugged)
3. Launch the browser you want to clean up and clear your history and browser cache. If you can tell us which browser we can provide directions.
4. Reconnect to the Internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 10.11.6, also ipad
malware removal

Malwarebytes is an excellent product and I encourage everyone to make a small donation to the developers. Having run the app you may not have any further problems however it is likely that the site you visited (PyramidSsolitare.com) is the source of the problem. This may not be their fault but small sites with less than perfect security often fall victim to these scammers attaching a piece of malicious code to their page which takes you to another page.
As always never give any private information to these types of services and use a disposable email address for subscription/registration if required.
Additionally you may need to clear your browser history, cookies and cache.

I'm having the same problem, but I unfortunately did give up personal info which I have since changed,
but I'm still having the problem of that announcement and I cannot use Malwarebyres because i'm on OS 10.6.8. My repair person is away so I'm trying to at least get rid of that warning. Is there an app on my computer that might help with that?
I did clear the cache, cookies and browsing history.
Thanks for any suggestions.
cmaciel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 10.11.6, also ipad
1. If you haven't done so download, install, and run Malwarebytes for Mac.
2. Disconnect your computer from the Internet (wi-fi off, ethernet unplugged)
3. Launch the browser you want to clean up and clear your history and browser cache. If you can tell us which browser we can provide directions.
4. Reconnect to the Internet

I cannot download Malwarebytes on the OS 10.6.8 I'm using. Ghostery will not work on Chrome. What now?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 10.11.6, also ipad
I have to tell you how difficult life is when you're having trouble with your computer. The tech support on Verizon is almost impossible to understand, specially the female voices, so you spend an hour on the phone to get any service and then the changes themselves take over a day to happen.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A scan for viruses is not going to find any Mac-specific viruses because at the moment there aren't any. These tips might help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.