Pics from Macbook to Flash not seen on windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro Retina 13. 8GB memory, El Capitan; iPhone 6s.
Hi all, I just uploaded a few dozen pics from my iPhone to my mac and then to a sandisk flash drive. As a test I viewed these pics from the flash on my sons windows computer. They are loaded and id'd as .jpg but the windows pc says " cannot open file" to all pics. I wanted to show these on a friends windows pc but I see now that I cannot, any ideas?
Steve.

M

MacInWin

That should be do-able. Try another flash drive. They do fail.

How is the flash formatted? Can you see the directory on the windows PC?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I had a flash drive fail earlier this year, however, what happened this time was something I had not seen before. For every pic I downloaded to the flash there became a ".thumb" before each title and that was the file that could not open. I did not notice at first on my sons pc, but I looked closely on my wife pc and found a whole directory of the 50 pics beginning with that title ".thumb" then " .jpg" Following that file was the correct file with no pre- name and still .jpg, they all worked. I simply had to delete the ".thumb" list and all seems ok, strange, never seen that before. Thanks MacInWin.

M

MacInWin

OK, the .thumb files are NOT the pictures, but normally hidden files that just contain a thumbnail of the jpg (for the icons you see in OS X). Normally they are hidden in OS X because of the leading "." in the filename. They become visible in Windows. You can also see .trashes, and other "." files when you take an OS X drive to Windows. As you discovered, the real files are the ones without the leading "." BTW, when you put that drive back in your Mac the "." files will return, just so you know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
The .thumb files are a "Mac thing" and are a) useless to other operating systems and b) not normally shown by Finder even on the Mac.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys, thats good to know for future reference.
25 years pc and now 7 months MAC, thanks you guys, you know I will have more questions and I think you guys are the best help.
Steve.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.