Videos streaming slow on new Mac but fine on PC.

Reaction score
Hi. I just switched from a PC to the iMac. I bought it from Best Buy a few days ago.

I've been attempted to stream videos with no luck! They buffer constantly. I've tried safari and chrome with the same results.

As soon as I switch over to my PC and run the same show from the same website, it runs crystal clear! Perfect!

What gives? No idea what's going on. We do have VERY slow internet, as we live in the country.

We are lucky to get 1mbps. But, why is it streaming fine on the PC and barely streaming on the Mac?

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum, and to the world of Mac.

Is it possible that the PC has the video cached already, so that it's not really streaming but playing from the cache? A better test would be go to speedtest.net on each system and do a speed test to see if they are getting the same results. Also, are the PC and iMac connected the same way to your ISP?

What is the version of OS X you are running? To see, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner of the screen, then About This Mac and report on what it says. If you aren't at 10.11.5, you need to update the OS.

OP
D
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, and to the world of Mac.

Is it possible that the PC has the video cached already, so that it's not really streaming but playing from the cache? A better test would be go to speedtest.net on each system and do a speed test to see if they are getting the same results. Also, are the PC and iMac connected the same way to your ISP?

What is the version of OS X you are running? To see, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner of the screen, then About This Mac and report on what it says. If you aren't at 10.11.5, you need to update the OS.

I don't think the video would be in the cache. It's new content every week (motocross races streamed from Promotocross.com). I did the speed test and we run .98kbps download and 1.5mbps upload.

I'm not sure how to check if they are connected the same way. I just connected to my wifi when it prompted.

I will have to check the OS. I didn't even think of that. I bet I do need to update.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That connection seems a bit slow for streaming but doesn't ex[lain the difference between the Mac and PC. It seems from your post that the Mac is connecting to your network wirelessly. Is that correct? Is the PC connecting wirelessly or by an ethernet (wire).

M

MacInWin

Is the speed test the same on the PC and the Mac? IF it is, that is a very slow connection. And it's unusual to be able to upload faster than download. And the difference in this case is HUGE. Something is amiss.

OP
D
Reaction score
That connection seems a bit slow for streaming but doesn't ex[lain the difference between the Mac and PC. It seems from your post that the Mac is connecting to your network wirelessly. Is that correct? Is the PC connecting wirelessly or by an ethernet (wire).

The PC is also connected wirelessly.

OP
D
Reaction score
Is the speed test the same on the PC and the Mac? IF it is, that is a very slow connection. And it's unusual to be able to upload faster than download. And the difference in this case is HUGE. Something is amiss.

I will need to run the test on the PC also. I will do that soon and report back! I've been napping with the toddler ?

OP
D
Reaction score
What is the version of OS X you are running? To see, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner of the screen, then About This Mac and report on what it says. If you aren't at 10.11.5, you need to update the OS.[/QUOTE]

It is for sure out of date. Running 10.11.5 updating now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.