Photo won't accept video from m camera.

Reaction score
Every time I come back from holiday I have problems with this Photo system. I have been using the same camera for years and have never had trouble importing photos or movies. This time I get a message telling me that the file type of my movie is unrecognisable.

The following file could not be imported. It is in an unrecognised format.
/Volumes/Untitled/DCIM/101MSDCF/MOV04886.THM

It is in the same format it has always been in, unless that is m camera can change it without me knowing. I have not used a new card or changed anything at all about my camera.

anybody any ideas please
thanks
G.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro5.1,Dual2.4GHzXeon,10.13.6,4x6TB HD,128GB Mem,Dual 32" monitors
garigoun, I'll take a stab at this! Are you trying to import into "PHOTOS" or "iPHOTO"? And are you importing pictures or video? What kind of Mac do you have, the operating system. What kind of camera do you have? I'll try to help you if I can.
Carl

OP
G
Reaction score
garigoun, I'll take a stab at this! Are you trying to import into "PHOTOS" or "iPHOTO"? And are you importing pictures or video? What kind of Mac do you have, the operating system. What kind of camera do you have? I'll try to help you if I can.
Carl
Hi carl. Thanks for the reply. I'm running an iMac 27" 1TB and 16Mb memory. on El Capitan. I've had trouble with Photo since I upgraded from iPhoto. I tried to import both pictures and videos. The video would not even show on PHOTO and I got the message as above. The pictures came up as thumbnails but th import command was greyed out and when i selected the individual pictures they became greyed out too. I've been messing about with it sinceIposted my question. Finally yesterday I tried to import them into iPHOTO. Result, perfect,both pictures and video went in no trouble. So I'm giving up on PHOTO. Again thanks for your reply though.
G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I always use Image Capture to import and videos or images into my MBP. This way I have a copy of the file I can find in Finder, if I need or want to. Then it is simply a matter of adding the file to whichever app is appropriate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
On my MBP, videos automatically go into the 'Videos' album in Photos. Have a look there.
Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 20.40.38.png

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi B.D.H., I looked in the video file and they are not in there. Really fed up with PHOTO, everybody else thinks it's great but I've had no end of trouble with it. Thanks for the reply though.
G.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Hi B.D.H., I looked in the video file and they are not in there. Really fed up with PHOTO, everybody else thinks it's great but I've had no end of trouble with it. Thanks for the reply though.
G.

We should start a club: RSPiP - Royal Society for the Protection of iPhoto :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.