Update to Malware Bytes - Did it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini OS X El Capitan 2.6 Ghz i GB 1 TB
This past week, I received a notice of an update to Malware Bytes. It wanted my permission to download a tool that would let me remove adware. It needed my password. Once I typed in the password, the Malware Bytes window simply closed and I saw no more action. Nor did I get any confirmation that it had installed the tool.

Is this how Malware Bytes works - totally silently and independently without any "unnecessary" communication?

Somewhere I have seen a page with a link to updates on a toolbar at the top but I've not found it this time. So, I don't know if it installed the tool or simply quit.

M

MacInWin

Open Malwarebytes. Then click on the name in the upper left corner, then "Check for Updates." If it reports that there are no updates, you are current.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open Malwarebytes. Then click on the name in the upper left corner, then "Check for Updates." If it reports that there are no updates, you are current.

Your version must be different from mine. When I click the icon, I get a window with the name spread across the whole top and no name in the corner. Below are three options: Scan, Next Steps (if scan didn't solve the problem) and Help which says to contact them and other such. I didn't see updates.

Thanks. I'll look some more. hazel m

M

MacInWin

No. The "Upper left corner" is all the way up, all the way left, next to the  symbol on the top of the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Your version must be different from mine. When I click the icon, I get a window with the name spread across the whole top and no name in the corner. Below are three options: Scan, Next Steps (if scan didn't solve the problem) and Help which says to contact them and other such. I didn't see updates.

Hi Hazel - maybe a pic will help to see if you really have the correct app on your computer? Below is a screen capture from my MBPro w/ Malwarebyes opened; I've also open the drop-down menu in the left upper corner where 'Updates' can be checked (see arrow); the 'About...' selection brings up the dialog box moved to the right lower corner, showing the current version; and yes the scan just takes seconds to perform.

The larger middle window is the appearance of the opened app, and finally the icon that is in your dock should have the identical appearance to the one in the app & lower right dialog box (kind of like Batman!) - if this is NOT what you are seeing/getting, then you do not have the correct app. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 1.24.59 PM.png

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, RadDave. I do have rthe same version but I want to go back and look at something. I do not recall an URL being there. Might have been.

I opened Finders/Applications/Malwarebytes Anti Virus/ Resources and got a sub-folder that said "adware removal FollowUpRemoval.nib. I've no idea what nib is. The main folder (Resources) was dated May 19, the last update prior to this week's. The sub-folder ("adware removal FollowUp....") was dated July 4 2016. So, is that my update, updated and installed silently in the background? Please say 'yes'. :)

Back to your screen shots, the second window (reading front to back) is what I get when I click the icon. It is the same as yours and nothing on it clickable. It's your small (front) window that I want to go back and check. Maybe I overlooked something. I think I opened that in Finder/Applications. As I said, I do not remember an URL.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:) Found it! I was trying to find the wrong "upper left corner". I think what I was expecting is a hangover from Windows. The very top bar on the entire monitor screen gets used more with apps in the Mac. I ran into this once before just recently. Must try to remember.

And --- I am up to date. Well, Malwarebytes is up to date. Not sure about me.

Thank you both. I do appreciate your patience with a slow one like me.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And thank you too, Jake. The gremlin won't let me give you a reputation until I "spread it around". You haven't had one from me yet. Confusing. I did learn a lot this afternoon by following yours and Dave's suggestions. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And thank you too, Jake. The gremlin won't let me give you a reputation until I "spread it around". You haven't had one from me yet. Confusing. I did learn a lot this afternoon by following yours and Dave's suggestions. :)

Hi again Hazel and congrats on your success! Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Hazel - confused also, i.e. if you've never given Jake a 'Thumbs Up Reputation', then hitting that icon in the bottom far left should permit you to do so? Try again and post back - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.