iTunes--"Error Occurred While Converting..."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 iMac, 2.7 GHz, 8 GB, 1600 Mhz DDR3
After a lapse of time since I last transferred CD music from CD to iTunes on my iMac, every CD I try comes up with the message "Error occurred while converting the file ' ' Required disk cannot be found." Help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
After a lapse of time since I last transferred CD music from CD to iTunes on my iMac, every CD I try comes up with the message "Error occurred while converting the file ' ' Required disk cannot be found." Help.

Hello TomB.... - welcome to the forum! :) Sorry, but poor choice of forum (Switcher Hangout) - regardless, you really need to provide more information: 1) What computer are you using (laptop or desktop; model/year); 2) What OS X is installed; 3) Assume you are using iTunes; if so, what version; 4) Is your CD player built-in or attached, e.g. via USB; 5) Does the CD/DVD unit play discs; and 6) Have you tried to rip the CDs mentioned on another optical disc player? Might just help to get us started w/ some suggestions. Dave

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 iMac, 2.7 GHz, 8 GB, 1600 Mhz DDR3
Yes, sorry. It had been years since I was on.

I am using El Capitan OS on my 2013 iMac. I am using iTunes 12.4.1.6. The CD/DVD player I had never had problems with before. USB connection.
It is an external one I bought at the time I bought the iMac (2+ years ago). It does play discs. I have not tried another disc player during the current problem (all my others are very old). --Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, sorry. It had been years since I was on.

I am using El Capitan OS on my 2013 iMac. I am using iTunes 12.4.1.6. The CD/DVD player I had never had problems with before. USB connection.
It is an external one I bought at the time I bought the iMac (2+ years ago). It does play discs. I have not tried another disc player during the current problem (all my others are very old). --Tom

Hi again Tom.... - thanks for the information above - I bought my Apple computers (iMac & MBPro) in early 2013 and by then Apple had discontinued including an optical drive in their machines; so, I bought the Apple SuperDrive - please provided the brand/model of optical drive you are using.

Of course, trying the drive on another computer and/or another drive on your iMac might narrow the problem down, but not always possible. From your description, could the drive 'rip' your music previously? If so, any changes in your computer setup, e.g. network storage, moving your iTunes library, etc.? If not already done, you might want to go into 'iTunes Preferences' and check the two tabs shown below - in General, the blue box provides information on your import settings and also whether the web is being check for the CD's metadata (sometimes disabling that and retrying a rip might be helpful?). In Advanced, check the status of your iTunes library - if the app does not know where to store the music, then problems can occur.

Let me stop there to allow you to check & respond; in the meantime, if you have a can of compressed air, a few gentle spurts into the insertion area might be worth a try but probably will not help? Good luck and let us know. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 3.00.57 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 3.01.14 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Maybe try this:

To fix: go to:
iTunes>Preferences>Advanced

and specify your destination folder for your music.

PS: Were or are you using an external volume that may not be connected or mounted??

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe try this:

PS: Were or are you using an external volume that may not be connected or mounted??

Now Patrick - did you even look at my previous post? All of those questions have been asked - hmmm! ;) Dave

P.S. nothing wrong w/ redundant questions - :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Now Patrick - did you even look at my previous post? All of those questions have been asked - hmmm! ;) Dave

P.S. nothing wrong w/ redundant questions - :)

Yup, I did, but I posted the info in case it was not noticed and almost hidden in between the screen shots you posted.

Anyway, let's hope the OP got a solution… ;)

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, I did, but I posted the info in case it was not noticed and almost hidden in between the screen shots you posted.

Anyway, let's hope the OP got a solution… ;)

- Patrick
======

Hi Patrick - no problem at all - at my age, 'redundancy' is always welcomed! ;) Dave

Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.