The Big Decision (still pondering...)

S

southside

Hi,

been using PCs since about 1989... a coworker turned me on to the newer Macs and their incredible Unix-based, OS/X operating system... the more I read on Mac forums like this, the more I am sold on switching to the Mac_World...

I will be moving house in the near future and want a notebook for mobility aspects assoicated with the move... I have 4 basic choices in mind and they are (all with government discount):

12" IBOOK - $1760
800 MHz, 60G HD, 640 M RAM, BT, Airport, APP, .MAC, MS Office

14" IBOOK - $1848
1 GHz, 60G HD, 640 M RAM, BT, Airport, APP, .MAC, MS Office

12" Powerbook - $2252

1 GHz, 80G HD, 512 M RAM, SuperDrive, APP, Airport, .MAC, MS
Office and Quicken

15" Powerbook - $3090

1.25 GHz, 80G 5400 RPM HD, 512 M RAM (on 1 chip), Superdrive, APP,
.MAC, MS Office and Quicken

My current computer use is not "poweruser" by any means, however I want to leave open the idea of future multimedia apps, editing movies, etc... Also, a guy at the Apple shop told me that IDVD is a nifty little, integrated product (in ILIFE), and IDVD only works with their SuperDrives... Also, my next job will be doing Java development in a Unix environment - and I want to play with XCODE on Mac OS/X (and I know that can be done equally well on an IBOOK)...

Now, I have poured over this forum and other Mac forums, and have read about recent Powerbook and IBOOK purchasers experiencing problems... Powerbook dead pixel and latch problems, and IBOOK logic board problems... I wonder if the percentage of defective Apple notebooks is as high as it appears if you read the forums... is it 5%, 10%, 15% of the notebooks being sold - or is it MUCH lower and it only seems higher as I am reading mostly about folks with problems... Also, it is very interesting to read about Powerbook Titanium owners not complaining of similar manufacturing defects - and it is unfortunate for Apple to be having this sort of problem for such a premium, kewl, feature-filled, and exciting product... Also, it is intersting that PowerMac G5 users aren't reporting manufacturing defects like the ones that new Mac notebook users are reporting... Guess it is easier to make desktops than ultra thin and feature laden notebooks...

Also, I have read that it is a good idea to wait on new Mac purchases until we hear what is announced at the massive Mac Conference in early January to hear about near future product offerings - new ILife version, Powerbooks with G5s in them (and we thought that the G4 runs hot!!), new IPODs, etc, etc...

If you reply I would like to hear what you have and if it is one of the newer models, if you have had problems...

thanks for all the great info in this forum... I have learned tons of OS/X and Apple related info - and I don't even have one yet! I am typing this from my 4 year old, trusty Dell Dimension 550 MHz PC running MS XP Pro (while listening to The Boss/Springsteen on my headphones - "When I'm Out In The Street..."...

Happy Holidays!!,
Southside

OP
S

southside

how much free space

with the default OS/X load from Apple, how much space does it take up? also, how much disk space does MS Office use? if I go with the 80 GB HD in the PB, how much free space will I end up with?

thanks,
Southside

OP
F

Fomer

been using PCs since about 1989... a coworker turned me on to the newer Macs and their incredible Unix-based, OS/X operating system... the more I read on Mac forums like this, the more I am sold on switching to the Mac_World...

Do it! :)

[Computer Listings]

I'd go with the better 14 Ibook.

My current computer use is.....

The Idvd is not a ness to me, but if you want to burn dvds I'd up for it.

Now, I have poured over this forum and other Mac foru........

No Problems here with my PB. I'd say a correct precentage of defective notebooks (with the exception of people who just flat-out don't take care of them) below %2

Also, I have read that it is a good idea.....

If they announce G5 PB's, I still believe (my opinion not that of Mac-Forums :)) it'll be a long time before we see G5 PB's... Apple is amazing but that processor in a laptop that doesn't catch fire or come in at 4 inches (for the fans)

As far as the pb getting hot... that's mostly exageration/myth. Yes it gets hot but every laptop I've ever used (Dell, Gateways, Apple, etc etc) They all get hot, the PB has a little added cold/heat do to it being Titanium

As far as the January convention goes its a month wait if you want to, but I wouldn't worry about Ilife update. Apple gives free upgrades. And if they have something not free Ilife isn't much money at all.

If you reply I would like to hear........

I own a new Powerbook "15" works great no dead pixels no problems at all (knocks on wood) The only question/problem I have had is third party apps/hardware/ or my own stupidity :) My best friend owns the brand new 14' Ibook he loves it has had no problems either. Both our first apples and both would never ever go back to winblows.

with the default OS/X .......

Plenty! I have 60GB, tons and tons of movies(usually about 10-20 at a time), apps (75ish), clips (about 100+), pics (about 300+), songs (about 500+) Trust me if you get 80 you got way enough. I'd get 60 if I were you, but hey if you can swing 80 with no problem then go for it more is always better.... er most of the time. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.