Update to El Capitan

Reaction score
I understand my 2010 i Mac is no longer supported and wonder if I should download El Capitan but I have heard conflicting reports about it.

Would you recommend I go ahead and what can I do to prevent losing data. Are there any other pitfalls ?

Sesame

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you tell us more about your current Mac? there were several iMacs od that era with different memory options available. Go to the Apple menu in the upper left of the screen and choose "About This Mac" and tell us the information that is there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes, download El Capitan, but cancel the installation for now.

OP
S
Reaction score
El Capitan

Can you tell us more about your current Mac? there were several iMacs od that era with different memory options available. Go to the Apple menu in the upper left of the screen and choose "About This Mac" and tell us the information that is there.

I have a MAC OSX Version 10.7-5 Processor 2.5 GHz intel core 5 Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That Mac should handle El Capitan pretty well though it would probably be a good idea to up the memory to at least 8 GB. It will run on 4 GB though.

Before upgrading you might want to check to see if the apps that are really important to you will need to be updated for El Capitan. Most of the ones you have will probably be Ok but you can check that here.

If you think you will upgrade log in to the App Store and download it before the next version comes out this Fall. Once Sierra is out you will not be able to download El Capitan. If you are not ready to install El Capitan you can download the program and stop the installation when you get to the screen that says "Continue".

OP
S
Reaction score
that mac should handle el capitan pretty well though it would probably be a good idea to up the memory to at least 8 gb. It will run on 4 gb though.

Before upgrading you might want to check to see if the apps that are really important to you will need to be updated for el capitan. Most of the ones you have will probably be ok but you can check that here.

If you think you will upgrade log in to the app store and download it before the next version comes out this fall. Once sierra is out you will not be able to download el capitan. If you are not ready to install el capitan you can download the program and stop the installation when you get to the screen that says "continue".

thank you that is helpful to know

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're Welcome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.