Thinking of adding SSD and adding RAM in my MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , MacBook Air (2019),MacBook Air M1
I have a mid 2010 MBP that has had some issues (dealt with on other threads) http://www.mac-forums.com/apple-notebooks/333954-macbook-pro-screen-goes-black.html?highlight=
but recently has not had the "black screen" problem - hopefully gone for good. Am trying to upgrade OS also.

In order to "update" my MBP, other posts have suggested adding more RAM (up to 8GB) and even replacing the hard drive w a new SSD. I've researched (a little) but I'd like to get some opionions on what would be best.
Just add RAM?
Add RAM and SSD?
Benefits (or problems) if I added SSD? Would the loss of storage be a problem?
Is it worth the extra cost for the SSD?

Am trying to get this laptop up to (better) speed for basic use. No gaming/streaming, etc.

I am by no means tech savvy - a lot of these terms/ideas are somewhat hazy to me. But I've been able to change screens, batteries, fans, charging ports, etc., on several laptops by watching videos, so I don't think I'll have any problems with the physical portion of relacing/adding components. I really just need some advice on the technical aspects of it, and what you might think would work best for the MBP that I have. I've invested a new battery (and case screws!) into it, so I'm willing to lay down some cash, but not so much that it costs near to a new laptop.

Thanks again

Peter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
To be honest after spending that money you will still have a pretty slow 2010 computer. I would be putting it towards a later model. Yes an SSD will improve things greatly and increased memory will be great when you come up to El Capitan. For instance your MBP if it is the 2.66Ghz model has a GeekBench2 test score of 3739. A 2014, not the latest model, with a 2.6GHz CPU returns 7599, over twice the score.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Well, what I did was, put a 240gb SSD drive in and bought an adapter to put my original hdd into my optical bay spot. I also bought an enclosure for my optical drive, so now I have an external USB optical drive. I did this when I got my 2011 MBP in June of 2012, the increase of speed in the SSD was extremely noticeable. It is a decision, which only you can make, about how much you want to spend now, knowing that the machine will have a limited lifespan. It will run El Capitan, and you could get it to last a few more years, or more with the ram upgrade also.

Two sites to check out,

To learn about your Macbook Pro, http://www.everymac.com

And to learn about taking apart your Macbook Pro, https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac

I still find myself checking them out every so often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.